Dorms to begin composting initiative

Think twice before you throw that banana peel in the garbage — there’s a more sustainable way to get rid of it, and your community governor wants you to know it.

A new composting initiative —a product of a partnership between the Residence Hall Association and the Environmental Affairs Committee— will enable residents of four campus dormitories to participate in composting.

“We take from the earth, and we give back what we can to it, in this case, nutrients from the compost and other benefits,” said Jaeyoung Yoo, Connor Community government’s Green Games coordinator, in an email.

Compost is the substance that forms after organic material decays. It is rich in nutrients and can be used as a fertilizer or a soil conditioner.

Manning East, Connor, Hinton James and Ehringhaus residents will soon have the option to receive composting bins that will fit inside their fridges.

The bins will be clearly labeled with items that can and cannot be composted.

A larger collection bin will be placed near the dumpster outside each dormitory and will be emptied once a week.

This bin will have a lock attached to it, making it only accessible to students involved with the initiative.

Kendall Nicosia-Rusin, president of the Residence Hall Association, said her goal was to create a more unified composting program on campus that encompassed many different programs already implemented.

“I was looking for a way to make the program better,” she said.

She said she hopes this program will continue after the original establishers leave.

Natalia Posthill, recycling coordinator in the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling, stressed that this is a pilot program, and they will measure the program’s impact on the environment before they continue with it in future semesters.

“We do hope to expand the program if all goes well this semester,” said Nicosia-Rusin.

She said they will need to figure out where the funding for the program will come from, whether it be the Residence Hall Association or an external source.

For now, community governors in residence halls have chosen to hold informational events for students who choose to take part in the composting initiative.

“It’s an optional program, but everyone agrees that it’s good for the environment,” said Grayson Berger, Manning East community governor.

“(But it) doesn’t negatively affect those who don’t want to participate.”

The four residence hall communities were chosen after all residents took part in a survey last semester to gauge interest in the program.

“I try to represent my residents’ best interest and progress the community in a way that benefits everyone,” Berger said.

“I think it’s a very worthy goal.”