‘Moral Monday’ spreads across South

More than 1,000 people turned out at the N.C. General Assembly for the fifth "Moral Monday" protest earlier this week. The pre-protest rally took place in the late afternoon on the lawn behind the legislative building.

The Moral Monday protests that swept Raleigh last year have spread beyond North Carolina’s borders into neighboring states, broadening the grassroots push into a regional movement.

Activists in South Carolina and Georgia are challenging recent state policies passed by their majority-Republican governments, with both states holding protests last week — and grassroots campaigns for the year are in the works. Moral Mondays took root in North Carolina in April, resulting in nearly 1,000 arrests.

And activists are aiming to energize the whole region.

“We want to see the Moral Monday movement as a Southern strategy,” said Tim Franzen, the Georgia Peace and Conflict Resolution program director at the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker organization involved in Georgia’s Moral Mondays.

“When people started putting their freedom on the line (in North Carolina), people all over the country started paying attention.”

While North Carolina has served as the model for these protests, each state hopes to address unique issues, Franzen said.

South Carolina, inspired by North Carolina’s Moral Mondays, has coined its protests “Truthful Tuesdays,” said Brett Bursey, director of the South Carolina Progressive Network, a left-leaning organization involved in the movement.

Bursey said his group is advocating for Medicaid expansion, after South Carolina declined to expand coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

“The government’s argument is that there’s no money, and it’s the same excuse they’ve been using for years to not fund K-12 and higher education,” Bursey said. “Their argument is we can’t afford it, but we know better.”

Moral Monday advocates are still gearing up for protests in the movement’s home state, said Yevonne Brannon, a Raleigh-based education activist involved in Moral Monday.

Moral Monday protests occurred across the state almost every week last fall. The movement is now gearing up for a large protest on Feb. 8 in Raleigh.

“We are going to have a solid constant grassroots effort on the ground to fight back,” Brannon said.

Georgia activists want to boost the democratic impact of average citizens rather than interest groups, Franzen said.

“We’re trying to give normal people a voice in the process,” he said.

In North Carolina, Brannon anticipates the movement will expand.

“With this being an election year, I have a feeling we are going to see more public protests on a larger scale than last year,” she said. “A good indicator of the expectations for this year will be the (Historic Thousands on Jones Street protest) in February.

“We’ve become a very talked-about state,” she said. “People are looking at North Carolina to see how to fight back.”