PlayMakers Repertory Company will take audiences from the bright stages of Broadway to the deep confines of the forest and back again with its 2014-15 season.

The new season, announced Friday, features six main stage plays, such as William Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and Arthur Miller’s adapted play, “An Enemy of the People”, as well as James Lapine’s and Stephen Sondheim’s “Into the Woods.”

The plays were chosen out of hundreds of scripts that were read throughout the year by both PlayMakers’ producing artistic director Joseph Haj and associate artistic director Jeffrey Meanza.

“We’re looking to find work that is, in a general word, relevant,” Meanza said.

“Whether that’s a classic play or a contemporary play, we try to understand who our patrons are and what the University environment is like, so we’re looking for plays that will fit well in that, regardless of genre.”

Fitting the plays into the season’s budget is also a large factor in their selection, according to managing director Hannah Grannemann.

“It’s kind of like alchemy,” she said. “But you start with a couple of shows, and you kind of just stick your way through it and focus on what the audience will find artistically interesting and what you can bring to the audience financially.”

Haj and Meanza consult with various groups within PlayMakers when choosing plays to produce, juggling elements such as size and scale of the plays, opportunity for resident and outside actors and budgeting constraints.

Haj said these multi-pronged components characterize PlayMakers’s mission of bringing a well-rounded repertoire to its audiences.

“A lot of what we’re doing over the season is making a full meal — that has an appetizer, a first course, a main course, a dessert and a cocktail,” he said. “Because our community would grow tired of what they thought was all meat or all dessert.”

Haj also said the new season is continuing a PlayMakers tradition of putting classical and contemporary pieces in conversation with one another, and it will do so with a rotating repertory of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and “Into the Woods.”

The plays will mirror this season’s rotating repertory of Shakespeare’s “The Tempest” and Mary Zimmerman’s “Metamorphoses,” which featured the central element of water. Next year’s rotating repertory will unite these temporally distant plays through another natural theme: the forest.

“We’re a classical theater, so we focus a lot on the classics, but we also have an investment in looking at the finest plays in contemporary theater,” Haj said.

But whether old or new, Shakespeare or Sondheim, PlayMakers continually holds its University tie as one of its main priorities in designing a new season. Grannemann said appeasing student audiences is always important.

“I’d love to see more students taking advantage and coming to see our work,” she said. “We reach about 4,000 students with our productions, and that’s an area of great pride and excitement for us.”