CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., — North Carolina had 20 minutes to make up a nine-point halftime deficit, but the way Virginia ended the first half Monday encapsulated how Virginia would dismantle UNC — converting on offensive rebounds.

With less than a minute left in the first half, Virginia guard Anthony Gill pulled down an offensive rebound. Later in the possession, Joe Harris found freshman point guard London Perrantes in the corner, and Perrantes knocked down a 3-pointer, which coach Roy Williams called a dagger.

“We had some offensive rebounds in the first half, but we didn’t finish,” said Williams after the 76-61 UNC loss.

In the first half, Virginia turned five offensive rebounds into nine points, including Perrantes’ 3-pointer. The Tar Heels pulled down nine offensive boards and turned them into just four points.

“We’ve got to be more attentive to finish the play instead of worrying about getting fouled,” Williams said.

“So many times we’re worrying about where the defensive player is or not exploding up as much as we can and being a little hesitant.”

If Perrantes’ shot was the dagger, Virginia’s 6-foot-11 center Mike Tobey turned the knife to open the second half. After a scoreless first half, Tobey opened up the second half with six quick points, including a basket off an offensive rebound from Akil Mitchell. Mitchell finished the game with 11 rebounds. Following Tobey’s outburst, UNC trailed 47-33 and never recovered.

UNC finished the game with 16 second-chance points on 17 offensive rebounds.

The lack of conversions overshadowed an otherwise sound performance by freshman center Kennedy Meeks , who led UNC with 15 points and nine rebounds.

Meeks made impressive plays in the paint, where UNC scored 20 of its 29 first-half points, including torching Virginia’s traps in the post for two easy baskets.

Overall, the Tar Heels played well on the boards, outrebounding Virginia 39-38, but when it came time to put the ball back toward the basket, UNC couldn’t seal the deal.

“It definitely comes down to just taking an extra second and being able to finish even if it is contested,” said junior forward James Michael McAdoo said. “Or if you can’t finish, just kick it back out.”

Meeks said the Tar Heels’ missed second-chance opportunities were the result of tentativeness under the rim.

“If we go up strong, then we’re going to either get fouled or get the bucket,” Meeks said. “I feel like those plays, we didn’t go up as strong as we could.”

The Tar Heels struggled to draw fouls, attempting 12 free-throw attempts, including just three in the first half, and made only five free throws in the game.

Williams said if he had the answer to the Tar Heels’ woes he would have already fixed it.

“It’s just not effort,” Williams said. “Our kids are trying, but there’s got to be a greater sense of urgency and alertness.”