TEDx returns to UNC, honors the late Laura Rozo

Madiha Bhatti, an English and biology double major, speaks on social media for the "Taking Flight" themed TEDxUNC student speaker finals Thursday night in the Union Great Hall.

UNC student Bobby Mook has an acronym for an insecurity he sees in many students — FOMO, or the fear of missing out.

Mook said most Carolina students have felt insignificant, often late at night, thanks to Snapchat or Facebook.

He was one of seven students competing in the Laura Rozo Student Speaker Competition Thursday, the winner of which will be announced Jan. 20 and will speak at the TEDxUNC conference on Feb. 15.

TED — which stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design — is a conference series that brings together experts in a single day to discuss a variety of topics. Each expert gives a lecture, which is posted on TED.com for free viewing.

The student speaker contest took place in the Great Hall of the Student Union and drew a crowd of hundreds.

The event was renamed this year in honor of last year’s TEDxUNC student speaker, Laura Rozo, who died from cancer last spring.

Madiha Bhatti kicked off the event, speaking on the negative effects Twitter and other social media networks have on our creative and academic abilities. Bhatti said our thoughts are being abbreviated; they are being consolidated into 140-word quips.

Bhatti was followed by Afika Nxumalo, who shared his ideas on fatherlessness and how this contributes to “all the world’s social problems.” Nxumalo finished his speech with a vocal and guitar performance, sharing his ideas in a musical fashion.

Safiyah Ismail discussed the difficulty of communicating with those different from ourselves and shared her story of experiencing a friendship through sign language.

“Sign language is a language of experience,” said Ismail. “Its beauty cannot be denied.”

Devon Pinkus followed, sharing his ideas on the benefits of mindfulness.

“Our society doesn’t value living in the moment,” he said.

Wilton Burns then shared her thoughts on what she called the “C Word” — crazy, discussing the injustice experienced by people with mental illnesses.

The speeches concluded with Rob Jones who revealed his dreams of becoming a UNC JV basketball player.

Though he never stepped on to the court as a Tar Heel, Jones said he has no regrets, as he has been able to turn a passion into a career as a coach, helping young players achieve their goals on the basketball court.

At the end of the event, UNC students cast their vote on which speaker they would like to see at the official event.

Students who attended had the opportunity to win tickets for the official conference. Online registration for tickets officially opens Jan. 22.

Freshman Kelly Whalen said the ideas of the speakers were inspiring and a good outlet for UNC’s academic community.

“They were kind of empowering in that they’re UNC students,” she said.

“I’m a UNC student.”