Carolina Performing Arts brings movement to Memorial Hall with Compagnie Kafig

agwa
Companhia Urbana de Dança Agwa Pièce pour 10 danseurs - Création Biennale Chorégraphie : Mourad Merzouki Musique : AS’N Danseurs : Tiago « TS » Sousa, Alexsandro « PIT » Soares, Ruy Chagas Junior, Wallace Costa, Diego « White » Leitão, Dieguinho Alves dos Santos, Leo Alves Santos, Christian Faxola, Zé « Joro », Raphael Roussier - Lumières : Yoann Tivoli - Scénographie : Benjamin Lebreton Coproduction : Biennale de la Danse de Lyon, Espace Albert Camus de Bron, Compagnie Käfig - Avec le soutien de : Fondation BNP Paribas - La Compagnie Käfig est subventionnée par le Ministère de la culture et de la communication - Drac Rhône-Alpes, la Région Rhône-Alpes (compagnie conventionnée), et Culturesfrance pour certaines de ses tournées internationales - La Compagnie Käfig est en résidence à l’Espace Albert Camus de Bron - Accueil : Espace Albert Camus-Bron, Célestins-Théâtre de Lyon, Biennale de la Danse Avec le soutien de : Ambassade du Brésil en France - GL events

Eleven Brazilian dancers will excite audiences at Memorial Hall tonight with their acrobatic, martial arts and hip-hop moves set to samba and electronic music.

Compagnie Kafig will make its Chapel Hill debut with a two-night performance as part of Carolina Performing Arts’ 2013-14 season.

The show combines the dance styles of hip-hop and samba with capoeira — a Brazilian martial art — and acrobatic skills. Electronic music and bossa nova, which is a genre of Brazilian music that mixes samba and jazz, provide the soundtrack for this fusion performance.

Joe Florence, marketing manager for CPA, said the performing arts group is thrilled to present the all-male dance troupe because of its broad appeal, enticing story and choreography.

“People are blown away by them, and we think it’s a performance that will stick in people’s minds years and years from now,” he said.

“In fact, it’s kind of beyond dance. Its story is amazing — the fact that these are street dancers from one of Rio’s shanty towns who want to make something better of themselves.

“Personally, I don’t call it dance — I call it movement. I call it a very high-energy event because it’s mixed with circus moves, hip-hop choreography and traditional street-dancing elements.”

Mourad Merzouki, the company’s artistic director, choreographed the performance’s two parts after he came across the Rio de Janeiro performers and heard their stories about life in the slums, or “favelas,” of Brazil.

Aaron Shackelford, CPA’s Mellon postdoctoral fellow, helped organize events inspired by Compagnie Kafig’s production to connect the University with ideas and issues associated with the show. These events, which happened Monday, included a hip-hop masterclass taught by some of the group’s members and a student-faculty panel to discuss border crossing.

Shackelford said the production raises questions about water accessibility, the changing world and the frantic pace of everyday life both in Brazil and elsewhere.

“I’m hoping that audiences really engage, appreciate and enjoy the vibrancy of this performance,” he said.

“(But) also reflect on the political implications of this hybrid, very stylistic mix and the messages that are embedded within this deeply engaging artistic event.”

Marnie Karmelita, director of programming at CPA, said she is excited to see how the dancers connect with the audience, especially students who are attending the performance.

“They’ve got an amazing amount of energy and passion for what they do, and I think that they communicate that from the stage, and the audience picks up on it,” Karmelita said.

“I think that they want people to see the Brazilian dance culture in a new way, and perhaps they see themselves as ambassadors for that in a way.”