Chapel Hill Town Council plans to review plan for multifamily development on Homestead Road Monday

Senior citizens could be taking over a portion of Homestead Road next year.

On Monday, the Chapel Hill Town Council will review a concept plan for the Courtyards of Homestead — a proposed multifamily development for seniors on 2209 Homestead Road.

The Courtyards of Homestead isn’t the first proposal for this lot.

Since 2010, the council has reviewed concept plans for the Cottages of Chapel Hill and Retreat at Homestead Road developments, which were both slated to be built on the 2209 Homestead Road lot.

The property is a grouping of three lots: 2301, 2201 and 2209 Homestead Road, according to a memorandum from the council . The 17.9-acre site includes single-family homes, outbuildings, fields and two ponds.

The council will review the concept plan and receive comments from the public.

“We’re thrilled with the reputation of Chapel Hill,” said Craig Thomas, vice president of development and construction at Epcon Communities, the developer for the project.

“It has a good quality of life that our buyers look for.”

Thomas said the Homestead Road location is large enough to build homes, a club house and, all together, a community.

The development will target the 55 years and older demographic, Thomas said. The community will include a homeowners association as well.

“We are noticing in every demographic survey we have done that the age group baby boomers is growing rapidly and in need of quality places to live,” Thomas said.

Currently, the development is still in the planning stages and 65 homes are going through zoning, he said.

The new housing development could impact traffic and road congestion for nearby residents.

Leslie Barnett, a Chapel Hill resident, said she could see the development increasing traffic in the area.

“Chapel Hill is growing, so if we grow in an experienced and wise way, that’s great,” said Barnett.