Few hotel vacancies ahead of Duke game

Popular hotels in the Chapel Hill area like the Carolina Inn and Franklin Hotel are booked to capacity for the rescheduled UNC vs Carolina basketball game on Thursday, February 20, 2014. Ticket holders face long wait lists and hotel referrals.

There’s simply no room at the inn.

Even before the UNC men’s basketball game against Duke University was rescheduled to this week, two of Chapel Hill’s most prominent hotels were already completely booked — leaving desperate fans with nowhere to stay after the game this Thursday.

The Carolina Inn and the Franklin Hotel were already at full capacity when the calls started coming in from fans looking for a room this Thursday.

Michelle Voelpel, director of marketing and public relations for the Carolina Inn, said the hotel’s staff strove to be as helpful as possible during last week’s winter storm.

For this week, the Carolina Inn has created a waiting list for those seeking any openings in an effort to accomodate as many people as possible after Thursday night’s game.

“We have a great team of people that are always willing to go above and beyond to give guests the best accommodations no matter the weather,” she said.

Jay Patel, general manager of The Franklin Hotel, said the hotel is normally at full capacity during this time of year, especially on days closer to the end of the work week.

Guests at the Franklin Hotel typically have to pay a set $100 premium for renting a room during a big sporting event, Patel said.

But after the game was canceled last week, the hotel made an effort to reimburse guests for the fee.

“We didn’t want to have our guests pay such a high price for no game so we gave them a $100 credit that is good forever until they use it,” he said. “Now they don’t have to pay a premium for an event twice.”

It wasn’t completely booked for this Thursday before the game was rescheduled, but the Hampton Inn & Suites in Carrboro also has no openings for after the big game.

Kevin Rooney, the general manager of the Hampton Inn, said the staff was sympathetic to those stuck in Chapel Hill after traveling many miles for a canceled game last week.

“We were consoling them,” he said. “They were upset at the hour of the cancellation due to the weather but a lot of them understood that there was nothing they could do to prevent the forces of Mother Nature.”

Rooney said some customers had to walk miles in the snow after abandoning their cars.

“The Hickory Tavern being open was a huge success for us,” Rooney said of the newest restaurant to open in the 300 East Main development. “It allowed our guests to relax, have a good meal and a few cocktails to take the edge off.”

And while they might be busy during the game, Voelpel said staff members at the Carolina Inn are excited for the approaching date to finally play Duke.

“There is definitely a renewed excitement and everyone is ready and motivated to watch Carolina win,” she said.