When current Carolina Union President Carly Mathews was asked to quantify the number of hours she spends working with her position, she said it was similar to a full time job.

And her newly appointed successor, Carolina Union President-select Gabe Chess, agrees.

“I like to think of it as somewhere I work — I try to carry it like a job,” he said.

Chess, next year’s Carolina Union president, was chosen for the position by the Carolina Union Board of Directors. His new title means that he will serve as both the chairman of the Union’s Board of Directors and the president of the Carolina Union Activities Board, which is responsible for programming events for the student body.

Gabe was one of two students who applied for the position. Mathews said the low interest was not unusual.

“In general, it’s pretty difficult to cultivate Union presidents since the position requires at least a minimal knowledge of CUAB and how the organization works,” Mathews said in an email.

But Mathews said Chess was well equipped for the position.

In a press release from Feb. 6, Carolina Union officials noted Chess’ involvement in both CUAB and the Board of Directors, while also mentioning that he has created several programs for the benefit of the UNC campus community.

Chess serves as CUAB’s music chairman, but he said that has not limited his dedication to the Carolina Union.

“I’m invested in this organization beyond just the programming of the music side of it. I care about the film side of it, and I care about the speakers we bring,” Chess said.

Chess said he also hopes to increase participation in CUAB.

“He wants a lot more student involvement, a lot more participation in the committees — he wants students to know that CUAB is here for them,” said comedy chairman Merrick Osborne.

He said the Union leadership team expects that Chess will serve well in the role.

“I know he’s going to do a great job. He’s very knowledgeable about the whole process, both with the CUAB side and the Union side,” Mathews said.

Carolina Union Director Crystal King said Chess has done well at engaging with students.

“He has shown a great desire to connect students who are utilizing the Union and those who are underrepresented,” she said in an email.

When asked why he wanted to be Union president, Chess said CUAB plays an important role within the University.

“I think CUAB has a unique opportunity to make a substantial contribution to that part of Carolina students’ lives and to connect the classroom and things you do at home, or if you live off campus, or in dorms, or whatever it may be, to sort of enrich all aspects of that experience for everyone.”