Kenan-Flager student’s nonpro?t United Solar Initiative works to spread solar power

Alex Wilhelm, a sophomore Business major, started a nonprofit solar energy company, following in the footsteps of his father. (His dad either works at or owns Strata Solar, if that can be used in some way.) He interned at a company in California and once they started to go down a path he did not feel comfortable with, he "decided to do [his] own thing." "Right now it's a hobby, but we have several things going."

Molded by a dynasty of solar energy entrepreneurs, UNC sophomore Alexander Wilhelm has ventured beyond U.S. borders to increase access to solar with his own nonprofit corporation.

“Putting solar energy into developing countries is a hobby now,” Wilhelm said. “Creating the nonprofit aspect of it just makes it legit.”

Wilhelm, recently admitted to the Kenan-Flagler Business School, said his parents, Markus and Cathy, served as role models and educators after they started their own real estate company for green homes in Chapel Hill before turning it into Strata Solar LLC in 2008.

Wilhelm’s interest in renewable energy, coupled with his passion for helping underprivileged communities, influenced his decision to create United Solar Initiative Inc. USI Inc. aims to positively impact communities in the United States and abroad by providing the tools necessary to have a sustainable source of electricity.

He said he is currently networking to gain sponsorships so he can hire a paid full-time staff.

Wilhelm interned with his parents’ company one summer and gained experience in the field of finance.

“He saw us when we were only five employees,” Cathy Wilhelm said about her son working at Strata Solar. “He saw the growth and knew what it took to make (his nonprofit) work.”

USI Inc.’s solar energy systems provide lighting, water-pumping capabilities and other general electrical needs for underprivileged communities.

Kenya and Nicaragua are two prospective areas Wilhelm has chosen to focus on. In these countries, his nonprofit will target schools, hospitals and girls’ shelters.

Wilhelm said that an advantage to placing solar energy in schools is that adult literacy classes can be taught at night. He hopes to provide solar energy to hundreds of schools, both internationally and domestically.

Michele Hoyman, a professor of political science at UNC, taught Wilhelm the fundamentals of social entrepreneurship and was instrumental in Wilhelm’s decision to pursue his nonprofit.

“He’s your model UNC student,” Hoyman said. “He definitely represents Carolina values.”

Wilhelm’s enthusiasm for solar energy also pushed him to join UNC’s Student Environmental Action Coalition, where he now serves as co-president with UNC sophomore Megan Neligan. Wilhelm and Neligan were specifically asked by SEAC advisor Greg Gangi to revamp the declining environmental group on campus.

“Alex is someone that’s really thinking of how to make a difference,” Gangi said. “He really has a vision. He’s actively creating the world he wants to live in — a world powered by renewable energy.”