Red Bull donates to UNC's department of music for Carolina Beat Academy

Red Bull might give you wings, but it’s giving a lot more to UNC’s department of music.

With funding from the energy drink company, the department is improving a number of hands-on courses to teach young musicians the technical skills and the business side of the music industry.

Mark Katz, professor and chairman of the music department, established the relationship with Red Bull last year, after a disc jockey who visited Katz’s “The Art and Culture of the DJ” class connected Katz with the company.

“Afterwards he came up to me and said, ‘I love this class. What you’re doing is amazing, this is really the kind of thing that Red Bull would like to support. How can we help you?’” Katz said.

Since then, help has come in the form of new equipment, guest artists and a scholarship — both last school year and this one — for one promising musician in the class. The recipient of this scholarship receives a set of turntables.

On March 4, the music department will host an open event featuring DJ Rasta Root and Phife Dawg from the band A Tribe Called Quest. Katz said both musicians will perform and hold a Q&A afterwards, and students will be able to get on the microphone and turntable.

Rasta Root first visited the department last year as Red Bull’s guest artist. He brought his friend, Phife Dawg, an avid UNC basketball fan. The success of the event led to their return this spring.

While Katz has been teaching “The Art and Culture of the DJ” for many years, he said it has evolved tremendously.

Senior Katie Gerdon, who is in Katz’s class, said she has attended several office hours to practice using the turntables with Katz and the resident DJs.

“They’re really good about giving you tips as you’ve got your hands on the equipment and just telling you what to do while you’re doing it,” she said.

“The Art and Culture of the DJ” class, as well as “Rock Lab” and “Beat Making Lab,” have received turntables, speakers, microphones and studio monitors from Red Bull.

“Just being part of a DJ class is awesome, but then getting the top-of-the-line equipment is even better,” said senior Sarah Zamamiri, who is in Katz’s class.

“You’re actually experiencing what DJs across the nation are using, and you have it right here in your backyard.”

Katz said there have been discussions on how to continue the relationship with Red Bull. He has told the company about the Carolina Beat Academy, the term for courses and workshops crafted by the department.

“I’ve pitched the idea to them to see if they want to support what we do in an even more extensive way, and they’re very interested,” he said.

Katz said these hands-on classes are few and far between at colleges and universities.

“This is the only example that I know of within a research university and a liberal arts college that combines the hands-on component with entrepreneurship and history and culture,” he said.

“So I think in terms of that profile that we offer, I really do think that UNC is unique.”