Required UNC health insurance complicated for international students

Among the many bureaucratic hurdles international students must clear at UNC, one of the largest is the process of obtaining health insurance.

The University requires all enrolled students, including international students, to have health insurance.

There are a few insurance options for international students, but Elizabeth Barnum, the director of international student and scholar services, said students would be best suited using the University’s Student Blue plan, which is offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina.

Alex Clayton, an international student from Scotland, received health insurance through UNC.

“It was a bit of a hit, $700 or whatever it is. It’s very annoying to have to pay for it,” he said.

In most cases, insurance plans do not cover people outside of their home country, Barnum said.

Barnum also said if students do not wish to have the Student Blue plan, they could waive it.

She said most students come from countries with government-subsidized health care and are not accustomed to signing up or paying for it.

“One of the biggest issues is explaining how the U.S. health care system works,” she said.

Barnum said that explaining the health care system is one of the most important learning curves for international students. She said administrators have to explain when and why to get health insurance.

“It’s so expensive if you don’t have insurance to get access to health care,” Barnum said.

James Ellsmoor, an international student from England, said he was required to get health insurance from the University through his scholarship program. Health care is entirely government-funded in the United Kingdom.

“It’s kind of annoying because I’m used to it being free, but you have to get it,” he said.

Ellsmoor said he hasn’t had to use the health insurance for any emergencies but he has gone to Campus Health Services for checkups, and a knee injury.

He said even though he was given information about the U.S. health care system, he still was a bit confused because he is not used to the system.

“If I was to have a more serious injury, health insurance doesn’t really cover very well I don’t think. I don’t know much about it,” he said.

Clayton said he sent his medical history records to UNC during the summer so the registration process was more straightforward, especially when he tore a ligament.

“I needed six X-rays and it was all covered. As far as I know, I haven’t been billed yet,” he said.

Mary Covington, executive director of Campus Health, said the $688 price tag for insurance through the University is the same for domestic and international students.

She said international students can use insurance plans from their home countries, but they must submit plans to Blue Cross Blue Shield to make sure they meet federal criteria.

Covington said there are also companies that market plans for traveling students but purchasing insurance from these types of companies might lead to difficulties in purchasing over-the-counter drugs.

“Most of the time when purchasing a plan that is through intermediary companies, it may lead to difficulty with the pharmacy,” she said.

Juan Aguilera, an international student from Venezuela also had to buy UNC’s health insurance when coming to UNC, and said he did not need it back home because members of his family would take care of him.

“I used it a couple of times. It saved me a lot of money; more than it would have without insurance,” he said.