Student body president candidates run with bold plans, big platforms

Inclusivity. Lower tuition. Solar panels on top of Lenoir Dining Hall.

From academic issues to the installation of timers in residence halls to monitor the amount of water used per shower, the platforms of this year’s student body president candidates are ambitious.

The power that comes with the executive office of student government gives the president the ability to act as the voice of the students for every issue on campus — which Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs, said engenders big ideas.

But he said the promises student body presidents are able to fulfill result more from the team they assemble than their own ability.

“The student body president isn’t doing most of that stuff any more than I’m making beds for housing or reading resumes in career services or creating protocols for such and such,” he said.

With the office comes the ability to speak directly with UNC’s top administrators through a slew of committee seats, such as the Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee, and a seat on the Board of Trustees.

Board member Sallie Shuping Russell said student body presidents have taken full advantage of their position as trustee members throughout her own tenure.

“Eve Carson was student body president my first year,” she said. “They’ve all worked, and they’ve all been very vocal in terms of getting their platforms implemented.”

‘It matters’

Aaron Nelson, president of the Chapel Hill Chamber of Commerce, served as the student body president from 1996-97 and credits his peers with achievements such as the blue light system, fare-free buses and the renovation of Lenoir Dining Hall.

He said the position should be taken seriously because it involves much more responsibility than being a member of student council in high school, for example.

“The SBP has 200 appointments to make to different committees, oversees a budget of probably half a million dollars in student fees, and holds a voting seat on the Board of Trustees,” Nelson said.

“It matters.”

But the power and the team does not equal a complete realization of the platform.

Jon Curtis, former associate director for student activities and student organizations, said platforms have fluctuated throughout time in terms of their breadth.

“There have been some over-the-top, numbers-wise, and a few over-the-top in terms of ambition, but that’s 99 percent of what you should be doing in colleges and universities,” he said. “Trying to do everything you possibly can, striving to make changes big and small.”

Curtis said research is essential to the preliminary process of running for student body president.

Curtis said candidates should be sure to understand efforts made by previous student body presidents or administrators to avoid redundancy.

“Do your homework about what your proposal is,” he said.

Platform feasibility

Current Student Body President Christy Lambden’s platform included implementing the dance minor, having a space for the LGBTQ Center by spring 2014 and preventing parking fee hikes.

He also stated in his platform that he would initiate discussions with the Chapel Hill Town Council about affordable housing — something Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said he is not aware has happened.

Lambden did not respond to requests for comment.

Current student body president candidates have expressed confidence in their platform ideas.

Candidate Nikita Shamdasani said in an interview she is currently evaluating the feasibility of her proposal to raise the systemwide 18 percent limit on out-of-state enrollment to offset budget cuts — something that has been historically contentious at Board of Governors meetings.

Candidate Winston Howes has said he wants to automate certain aspects of academic advising, replacing people with technology.

But Lee May, associate dean and director of academic advising, said though the department has utilized technology, personal contact is a necessary part of the advising process.

“It’s a dangerous notion,” she said about Howes’ idea.

Candidate Andrew Powell has said he wants to implement a gender non-specific housing program through the town — Kleinschmidt said working with the town would not be an obstacle, but working on logistics such as location could be.

Candidate Emilio Vicente’s platform included a proposal to add timers to every shower on campus to save water, and he has also said he wants to keep student fees and tuition low.

Rick Bradley, associate director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said the timers would present a cost challenge.

“I’m not even familiar with how it would work, first of all we have lots and lots of showers,” he said. “If it’s costly enough, it gets paid for from student rent dollars.”

Despite the implementation hurdles their platforms might face once they take office in April, all four candidates have said it’s time more students have a voice in these issues.

“The theme that runs through all of them is that they all had the ability to connect to people,” Crisp said.

“They make you want to work with them. They make you trust them.”