Ticket randomization process for Duke game in place despite weather

Despite ongoing concerns about ticket randomization and potential inclement weather, UNC officials said today’s game between UNC and Duke University is not likely to be impacted.

Tim Sabo, assistant athletic director for ticket operations, said the potential for adverse weather would not affect the randomization process.

“The plan will move forward as is,” he said in an email. “If anything changes, we’ll certainly work with the (Carolina Athletics Association) and utilize as many communication channels as possible to get the word out to students.”

UNC Department of Public Safety Spokesman Randy Young said the University has been in contact with the athletic department and Chapel Hill Transit to gauge the possible impact of weather on the game.

Chapel Hill Transit Assistant Director Brian Litchfield said all bus service is scheduled to run as normal but that the office would be in contact with the athletic department and DPS throughout the day to determine whether bus service would be reduced.

“If there is a significant accumulation of snow, ice or freezing rain, some Tar Heel Express routes may be placed on detours and/or park and rides may be closed,” Litchfield said in a press release.

Students with a Phase 1 ticket to the game can begin lining up at noon. The spots will be randomized at 1 p.m. and 400 students will be allowed in the risers.

Sabo said students with Phase 1 seats are not required to participate in randomization.

Many students who attended the game against the University of Kentucky in December stood in the rain for several hours while tickets were randomized — and hundreds did not receive tickets.

Senior Alex Gottschalk said he is unconcerned about the weather, but does not want to see history repeat itself.

“At least I’ll be secure and confident this time around in knowing that the hours spent in the adverse weather will get me into the building,” he said. “Given the elements, if they have late adjustments to the process, well then, my opinions could change rapidly.”

Students who did not receive tickets in the student ticket lottery had to opportunity to get tickets Wednesday afternoon. As part of the ticket redistribution, 124 students waited at the bottom of the Student Union and about 20 spent the night. All of those who attended redistribution received tickets.

Alissa Karpick, a junior transfer student, said she felt it was only right for her to attend.

“I’ve been going to loads of (Carolina) Fever events, and I think it only makes sense that I should be there,” Karpick said. “I’m saying I’m not frustrated because I have a ticket, but if I didn’t have one, I think it would be different.”

Erik Augustine, one of three students who received a Phase 1 ticket during redistribution, spent the night in the Union for the second year in a row.

“It could have been frustrating, but we did it last year, so we figured we could do it again,” Augustine said.