Chapel Hill Public Library hosts Affordable Care Act sign-up

As the health care program’s deadline of March 31 quickly approaches, the library has partnered with a number of organizations to provide help to those seeking to register under the new health insurance laws.

This effort has included four three-hour sessions per week and a daylong event Monday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Kate Torrey , one of many certified application counselors at the event, said the need for this type of personal assistance with registration arises from a number of complications.

“Insurance is very confusing, and many people are applying for the first time,” said Torrey. “Some experience working with the website can help consumers move through the process more efficiently.”

Library Assistant Shannon Bailey said the library was responding to the American Library Association’s call to public libraries to get involved in the enrollment process.

Bailey said the Chapel Hill Public Library received great support when it reached out to other organizations and was a great host location.

“The main desire was to be accessible as possible, and the library is accessible to a lot of people,” she said.

Torrey said she agreed that the library was an ideal spot.

“Simply, the library is the go-to place for public information,” she said.

Bailey said the library is thankful for all of the help it has received in its attempts to aid in Affordable Care Act enrollment.

“We are really grateful to all the organizations that were willing to take their time and volunteers who helped make this event possible,” she said. “We are lucky to live in a community where people are willing to take on those roles.”

Dennis DeJianne , an Orange County resident, said he knew a number of people who were happy about the new laws, particularly senior citizens with improved access to dental care.

But he said the act is only a small step in bringing the United States health care system to where it needs to be.

“ACA, while a step in the right direction, is an incredible baby step toward the reform that needs to take place in U.S. health care,” he said.

He said that a large number of Americans, including himself, have experienced bankruptcy due to medical bills and that this problem is driven by the greed and profits of the insurance companies.

Bailey said the library will likely have helped more than 250 people enroll by the deadline and that it hopes to continue such assistance through the closed enrollment period and in subsequent years.

The last session before the March 31 deadline will be held 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the day of the deadline.

Bailey said those looking to attend should call the library in advance so that they know what to bring with them.