Developers halt plans for Carrboro CVS

Developers have pulled the application for a CVS/Pharmacy at the site, meaning there are no current development plans for a CVS at that location, according to the Active Project Report for Carrboro from earlier this year.

The developer pulled the CVS proposal after members of the Carrboro Board of Alderman said they weren't initially interested in rezoning the property, Martin Roupe, the town’s development review administrator, said in the report.

The board repeatedly delayed its discussion of the site last year.

Trish McGuire, planning director of Carrboro, said she has not heard from the developers since they pulled the application.

Jason Barron, a partner for Morningstar Law Group , the firm representing CVS, said he cannot comment on the situation.

About 60 protestors occupied the lot two years ago to oppose the development. The protesters were later dispersed by the police without incident or arrest.

After the protesters broke in and vandalized the current building sitting on the lot, CVS representatives decided to construct a chain-link fence around the property.

Since then, protestors periodically hang signs along the fence challenging the corporatization of the property.

“This is obviously a success for the people of Carrboro”, said Clara Pierce, one of the protestors, of the area. “It is time for this to be a free space for all the people of Carrboro.”

The protests prompted widespread criticism of the plans from Carrboro residents, and CVS representatives planned to resubmit a new zoning application for a smaller facility .

The project’s developers’ original proposal was to construct a 24,590 square-foot building at the corner of Greensboro and Weaver streets, and the bottom floor of the building would house a new CVS ­— replacing the current CVS in Carr Mill Mall. This would have required a rezoning approval by the board.

With no current plans for development, the plans for a new CVS will be inactive — leaving the property open to other development proposals.