Kelly’s home run lifts UNC to victory against Maryland

UNC pitcher, Lori Spingola, winds up a pitch against a Maryland opponent.  The Tar Heels defeated the Terps 11-5 in the first game of their double-header Saturday.
UNC pitcher, Lori Spingola, winds up a pitch against a Maryland opponent. The Tar Heels defeated the Terps 11-5 in the first game of their double-header Saturday.

Jenna Kelly had a hunch.

After splitting a double header with Maryland the day before, she knew both teams would come to Sunday’s rubber match determined to take the series — something each side felt was rightfully theirs.

But Kelly knew deep down her team would come out on top. And she knew that she was going to do whatever it took to make that happen.

And she did.

With one out in the bottom of the fifth inning, Kelly stepped to the plate with runners on first and second and drove a pitch over the left-center field wall for a three-run home run, effectively eight-run ruling the Terrapins and ending the game, which UNC won 12-3.

Kelly’s home run improved the Tar Heels to 16-12 on the season and 9-2 in ACC play, and served as a pick-me-up to her team when it needed it most.

“Yesterday ended on a bad note, so today we were kinda fired up and we knew we were gonna compete no matter what,” Kelly said. “I knew I had a chance to end the game with that at-bat and that’s what I wanted to do — help our team to a victory and series win I feel we really deserved.”

After winning game one of Saturday’s doubleheader 11-5, the Tar Heels fell to the Terrapins (2-24, 1-5 ACC) 12-11 on Saturday night. Coach Donna Papa said it was UNC’s shaky pitching in the second game that ultimately led to the team coming up short.

“We certainly played well enough yesterday to win both games,” Papa said. “We hit well enough, we scored enough runs, but the second game we did not manage some of the hitters very well, and it cost us.”

Pitcher Lori Spingola went 2-1 on the weekend, securing her 100th and 101st career victories and finishing strong despite hitting a rough patch in game two.

“The first game I came out strong and competing, but the second game I think I got a little tired and my pitches started going up in the zone,” Spingola said. “My plan today was just to attack the hitters with low pitches and it worked, so I was happy I was able to be a little more effective today.”

Spingola said that the team’s strong offensive performance this weekend served as a confidence booster for her on the mound.

“I didn’t have to go out there so uptight – I could throw a little bit looser and with a little less pressure,” she said.

“And that made my job a lot easier.”

As Kelly ran around the bases and into the open arms of her teammates, her face was illuminated with a smile as realized her hunch was right – both teams had fought until the end, but it was the Tar Heels who prevailed.

She had made sure of it.