Lyons leads young UNC women's tennis to victory against Fighting Irish

Both sit atop the national rankings at No. 1 and No. 5 respectively — forming a one-two punch no team in the country would like to be on the receiving end of.

But in Sunday’s 6-1 thumping of the No. 22 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (8-7, 2-5 ACC ), it was senior Tessa Lyons , substituting youth and a national ranking with unmatched experience and passion, who guided the Tar Heels (16-3, 6-1 ACC ) to the victory.

It all started on the outdoor courts at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center . Lyons and doubles partner Ashley Dai strolled to court No. 3 for the first time this spring in what was only their third appearance in doubles action .

Dai said playing with Lyons in her senior season is something she appreciates — knowing this is her last go-around but most notably due to the similarities in the way they play.

“We compliment each other well,” Dai said. “We’re very alike — our intensity is always high.”

And this overflowing intensity Dai spoke of radiated from court No. 3.

Up 3-1 , Dai sprinted from the net to retrieve a ball at the distant baseline to extend the rally. After a few volleys, Lyons obliterated a forehand across the court with pinpoint accuracy down the line — arousing a loud uproar from the tandem.

With the No. 15 pairing of Caroline Price and Whitney Kay locked in a dogfight on the court next-door, Lyons and Dai’s loud barking energized their teammates to an 8-5 win that would seal the doubles point for UNC.

Coach Brian Kalbas said the energy provided by Lyons and Dai in the doubles match was instrumental to the team securing the point.

“That’s such a contagious thing for our team,” Kalbas said. “And I can sense it in doubles that it was helping our team and affecting the others even though we were down a little bit.”

Although Dai didn’t participate in the singles match inside, the two things that did remain consistent were Lyons participation and intensity.

After fighting her way back to tie the first set at five games apiece , Lyons and her opponent were in the midst of a protracted rally. And with a booming backhand, Lyons put the point away to attain a 6-5 lead she wouldn’t relinquish.

Lyons followed the backhand with a boisterous “C’mon” — her go-to phrase and a sound Kalbas said he could hear on the other side of the indoor facility.

Lyons said this sort of energy is an integral part to not only her game but her teammates’ and is something that should remain constant.

“It’s really important,” Lyons said. “Whether you’re in a match or you’re out — you’re playing really bad, you’re getting killed — just to be there for your teammates it really helps them.”

Lyons was in her match on Sunday, though. And after clinching the first set, Lyons built a 5-3 lead in the second set and had the opportunity of securing the team victory for the Tar Heels.

After winning the first few points, the opportunity looked like a sure reality. But Loeb swooped in to clinch her match and the win for the Tar Heels. And seconds later, Lyons would win hers.

But the win isn’t what matters to Lyons. It’s her teammates who she hopes to fuel with her energy and leadership that our her top priority.

“I go out there, and I play for these girls,” Lyons said. “That’s really what’s motivating me. It’s not the wins or losses or players that I’m playing. It’s just a win for my teammates.”

And on Sunday, Lyons and her teammates got that win.