Mardi Gras celebrations come to Durham

When Fat Tuesday arrives, the city of Durham will be transformed by the spirit of New Orleans.

This year marks the fourth Durham Mardi Gras celebration, which features local venues and performers coming together to commemorate the holiday.

In past years, Durham Mardi Gras has been pushed aside — literally. Instead of an all-out street parade, the parade has been confined to the sidewalk. But this year will be different.

“This year we have a permit — we’re legal now,” said Blaise Kielar, organizer of the event and music director of the Bulltown Strutters, a performance group.

Rodrigo Dorfman is one of the many unofficial videographers of the event. He said that this year, he will be filming the celebration pro bono.

“This year will be bigger, brighter and more Mardi Gras than the year before,” he said.

Durham’s 2014 Mardi Gras will feature a street parade, live music, food, beads and a lot of costumes — nothing less than what is expected of a Mardi Gras celebration.

But it will also feature some unexpected changes, which have not been disclosed.

“There will be some surprises in store,” Dorfman said.

Kathy Violette, the official treasurer of the Durham Mardi Gras Board, was unaware of these surprises, but said she is excited about the event.

“I’m already having trouble sleeping because I’m so excited,” she said.

The focus of the celebration is on community and family reverie. It is a free, all-ages event that is designed to bring the community together in a fun celebration.

After the procession, the night will continue with free music festivals and Cajun food by local restaurants.

“We’ve worked really hard to make it fun and festive for all ages,” Kielar said.

As is usual for Mardi Gras parades, there will be many different groups, or “krewes,” dressing up and walking in the parade. Some krewes include a mermaid krewe, a flamingo krewe, a beaver krewe and a tutu krewe. The tutu krewe will kick off the ceremony by putting a tutu on “Major the Bull,” a large bronze bull statue at the Central Carolina Bank Plaza.

Violette said the parade’s creative costumes will be reminiscent of UNC’s annual Halloween celebration on Franklin Street.

“We would love to see the University of North Carolina’s creative energy come out,” she said.

Dick Sloane, a trombonist for the Decatur Street Beat music group, said he is excited to be contributing to the event with his music.

“Imagine if you ate ice cream — something you love — and by eating ice cream you could make others happy,” he said. “It’s about being a participant, making people happy, and having a good time.”