UNC MAPS raised $447 at dunk tank fundraiser for Be The Match Foundation

Three dollars bought three chances to completely soak someone in the Davis Courtyard Friday.

UNC’s Minority Association of Pre-Health Students raised money for the Be The Match Foundation last Friday with a dunk tank fundraiser.

“Come on, folks, you know you want to dunk these people,” said Chris Okorieocha, the president of UNC MAPS

More than 200 students showed up in the Davis Courtyard to support the cause, taking three chances to strike the dunk tank's target with their $3 donation — until it got more interesting.

Halfway through the event, participants were able to take three basketball shots — layups, free throws or dunks — to dunk the person in the seat. For every $75 raised or every 25 basketball shots made, the person in the seat would automatically be dunked. 

UNC MAPS raised $447 and provided a become-a-donor station at their fundraiser event for Be The Match Foundation. 

Co-Event Coordinators Jessica Douglas and LaShawn Hart started planning the event late fall after sponsoring a representative from the foundation at one of their general body meetings.

“I think we have a global connection to make sure they find a match,” said Betsie Letterle, the community engagement representative from Be The Match. She manned the cheek swabbing station the event provided to commission people to add themselves to the bone marrow donation registry.

Letterle said that UNC is a large transplant center that supplies a lot of bone marrow matches for the foundation.

Among the people being dunked were professors of various science departments, UNC athletes and Student Body President Andrew Powell.

UNC senior Ricky Kong, spent $9 to dunk his former biology professor, Dr. Corey Johnson, multiple times.

“He was my professor twice, so I can get a kick out of this. It was a magical moment and I’m waiting for more," he said.

A few players of the men’s basketball team also came out to support the cause.

Freshman point guard Nate Britt had difficulty striking the dunk tank’s target.

“How you gonna be a point guard and can’t pass the ball to the target,” laughed Brice Johnson, a sophomore forward.

Cedric Bright, assistant dean of special programs and admissions, gave 40 students a chance to dunk junior varsity basketball player Toby Egbuna and Powell, with his $40 donation.

He stressed how important this event was for UNC MAPS' exposure.

“The MAPS group is a feeder program for medical school," he said. "This is one of their events to raise awareness of programs, promote health careers, and interest high school students.”

Although Letterle praised the organization on their innovative way of fundraising, others wanted people students to focus on the cause itself.

“This was a wonderful way to join entertainment and a good cause," Folashade said.