UNC sorority rush grows in popularity

But interest in these organizations varies greatly, with some Greek organizations seeing more growth than others.

Brittney Bahlman, coordinator of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said in 2013, 760 women participated in the Panhellenic Association’s fall recruitment, which was about 35 more than in 2012. She said this formal recruitment, held each fall, has experienced an average growth of between 30 and 50 women each year.

“Our enrollment of women in the University is not growing, which means that there is a growing interest among female students,” Bahlman said.

Bahlman said in fall 2013, the Panhellenic Association issued about 500 bids. Each sorority was given a minimum quota of 48 new members, and nine of the 10 sororities in the association achieved it.

“Nationally, there’s a growing interest in being a part of Greek life,” said junior Jamison Kies, who is president of Alpha Chi Omega. “People see it as a one stop shop for everything you can do in college.”

Junior Meredith Babb, vice president of recruitment for the Panhellenic Association, said growth in the Panhellenic community is important to her.

“The more people who are involved in Greek life, the bigger impact we can have on the greater Carolina and Chapel Hill community.”

Bahlman also said that the diversity found in the two councils beyond the Panhellenic council is highly valued, as well.

“I think that a lot of the diversity of the University is reflected in the diversity of our sorority community,” Bahlman said.

But sororities in the Greek Alliance Council, which was created in 2000 and now includes 14 multicultural and interest-based sororities and fraternities, have found growth to be difficult.

“Small chapter numbers and difficulty spreading our name on campus is something that my sorority, as well as (the Greek Alliance Council) has been suffering in the past couple of years,” said senior Jasmine Kreig, president of Theta Nu Xi, which has only a few members. “Many chapters in our council have very small chapters and encounter the same difficulties with recruitment that we do.”

Despite the varied methods of recruitment and level of interest garnered, women across the different councils agreed that there are many benefits to sorority life.

Babb said she thinks sorority life opens the door to many opportunities on campus.

“At Carolina, joining a sorority is not only a way to gain a home away from home, but a way to become a better woman through friendships, leadership opportunities, scholarship, social activities and philanthropic projects.”