Carolina Ale House will open in former Yates Motor building

Carolina Ale House plans to set up shop at 419 W. Franklin St. , a spot formerly known as the Yates Motor Company building.

Mindy Stroupe , a spokeswoman for LM Restaurants, the parent company of Carolina Ale House , said the deal to rent the property was just reached at the end of March.

The property was rented from Riddle Commercial, a company owned by UNC graduate and real estate investor Joe Riddle .

Riddle could not be reached for comment.

The long-unused Yates Motor Company building was momentarily occupied by activists involved in the Occupy Everything movement in November 2011. Armed with assault rifles, Chapel Hill Police took control of the building and seven arrests were made.

Stroupe said Carolina Ale House will be renovating the building. She said plans for construction have not been made official, but the company hopes to open the restaurant within a year.

She also said Lou Moshakos, the owner of LM Restaurants , has wanted a location on Franklin Street for years and was happy to seize this opportunity.

“When this particular location became available, he jumped on it, especially since other businesses in that area are thriving,” she said.

Stroupe said Carolina Ale House welcomes the competition from nearby restaurants.

Steve Torchio, a manager at Top of the Hill , said he feels the same.

“I think we are a different place than they are, so I don’t think it’s direct competition,” Torchio said. “We embrace a positive relationship among businesses on Franklin Street.”

Stroupe said the restaurant is not necessarily targeting college students but hopes the nearby university will be a large part of the new location.

“The atmosphere that’s created within the restaurant will be very UNC-centric,” she said. “What’s great about the Carolina Ale House is that we have a little something for everyone.”

UNC students seem to be excited about the arrival of the new restaurant.

Freshman Alexa Phillips said she had never been to a Carolina Ale House but could definitely see herself going to such a restaurant.

“I definitely think having a sports bar will attract a lot of college students,” she said. “I grew up in Chapel Hill and know that my family would enjoy that type of place.”

Freshman Ilsa Luther said she agrees that the Carolina Ale House will be a good fit for Franklin Street.

“They had a lot of college sports stuff on the walls and the food was delicious,” she said. “It would be a great place to watch a Carolina sports game.”