Carolina Performing Arts preps for 10 more years

Instead of focusing on celebrating nine years of success, the organization will honor its relationships — with artists and audiences alike — during its 10th season in preparation for the next 10 years.

After speaking with artists about their experiences with CPA, executive director Emil Kang said everyone mentioned that the audiences were thoughtful, integral parts in a positive exchange.

“They’re, in a way, what make this place special,” Kang said.

“That’s why we need to thank our audiences — they could easily be disconnected, disenchanted, bored and that would have been a whole different thing.”

The 2013-14 season saw artists such as George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis.

In celebrating its 10th season, CPA will bring back several artists who have performed at Memorial Hall in the past, share stories of its audiences in the form of videos and text and expand collaborations with University departments and faculty.

CPA will collaborate with the UNC Institute for the Arts and Humanities’ World War I Centenary Project by bringing in performers who supplement the World War I theme.

With all of the plans for next season, the CPA office is busier than usual.

Marketing manager Joe Florence said his day-to-day schedule is packed between March and April, with preparations for the new season’s May 15 launch in full swing.

Senior psychology and American Indian studies major Sarah Barger became involved with CPA last year after the executive board of Holi Moli UNC was asked to partner with the organization in a week of themed events.

“They just became a wonderful partner to our organization, and then I continued to advise CPA to offer student perspective and to help them bolster student engagement throughout this year,” Barger said.

Florence has played an active role in helping to increase student engagement efforts in CPA’s past and plans to continue his efforts for the upcoming year.

“I love the irony of the fact that we are celebrating 10 seasons, but we are going to continue to speak to students who may not have any idea who we are,” he said.

In the next season, the organization will attempt to focus on presenting performances that excite students who have never seen a show, while still celebrating relationships with artists and seasoned audience members that have grown over the years.

Most importantly, Kang said the goal was to prepare for the next several years.

“On one hand, we want to look back and celebrate, but on the other hand, we have to keep looking forward,” he said.

“That’s the irony of life, of learning and of progress, the idea of looking backward and forward at the same time, and we want people to be able to see a season that does both.”