Carrboro offcials to talk sidewalks for Rogers Road

Caldwell, a long-time advocate for Rogers Road and a candidate for Orange County sheriff, said he feels the lack of a sidewalk on the west side of Rogers Road is dangerous.

“Kids can’t walk to school, and people are standing in ditches waiting for the bus,” he said. “It’s a hazard.”

The town of Carrboro will hold an informational meeting for a proposed sidewalk on the west side of Rogers Road Thursday. There is already a sidewalk on the east side of the road.

Since the voters of Carrboro approved a bond referendum for the purpose of constructing sidewalks and greenway trails in 2003, 22 sidewalks have already been created.

The next goal of the project will be the construction of a one mile sidewalk spanning Rogers Road from Homestead Road to Meadow Run Court.

The Rogers Road sidewalk project will be funded with bond funds and state and federal funds.

Thursday’s meeting will allow residents of Rogers Road and adjacent streets to provide feedback to the Town of Carrboro about the proposed design.

Alderman Sammy Slade said the town was seeking cooperation from the Rogers Road community concerning the project.

Caldwell said he does not foresee any problems occurring between the town and community residents, and he thinks the project should have a greater sense of urgency.

Alderman Randee Haven-O’Donnell said the town was interested in hearing any questions the community may have.

Haven-O’Donnell said the project was about more than just safety.

“It will create a better sense of community because the sidewalks on both the east and west side will connect the neighborhoods,” she said.

If there are no objections from residents, Slade said the next step will be to continue the process and build the sidewalk.