Jenny Han, Sarah Dessen visit Flyleaf for book reading

Authors Jenny Han and Sarah Dessen will speak at Flyleaf Books Thursdsay night. Han will discuss her new YA novel "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," and  Dessen will discuss her eleventh novel, "The Moon and More."
Authors Jenny Han and Sarah Dessen will speak at Flyleaf Books Thursdsay night. Han will discuss her new YA novel "To All the Boys I've Loved Before," and Dessen will discuss her eleventh novel, "The Moon and More."

The pair will be sharing the spotlight tonight at Flyleaf Books to promote Han’s new book, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.”

Han, the author of The New York Times best-selling series “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” will start the event by reading from her book, then will have a conversation with Dessen about their respective writing processes, the transformations in the young adult publishing industry in the past 10 years, as well as their experiences at UNC.

“I’m really not in promotional mode right now because my last book came out in June, but I’ll do anything for Jenny and I love Flyleaf,” said Dessen, a lifelong Chapel Hill resident who is currently working on an upcoming novel.

Linnie Greene, marketing manager at Flyleaf, said if past events with Dessen are any indication, this event will likely be standing room only.

“You’re hearing from people who have already done this for quite a while and who are very experienced in the whole process of starting with a manuscript and ending up with a novel that sells hundreds of thousands of copies to people all over the world,” she said.

Dessen met Han, who lives in Brooklyn, face-to-face for the first time in 2008 after years of telecommunication. In 2006, when Han was enrolled in a class at UNC called “Writing Children’s Literature,” professor Ruth Moose recommended her manuscript to Dessen, who had recently retired from her position in the creative writing program.

Once Dessen read it, she called Han to congratulate her on what would be her first novel, “Shug,” published in 2007.

Since then, Han and Dessen have kept in touch by seeing each other at library conferences, panels and other literary events. However, their one true uniting force has been Twitter, which keeps them connected as they decompress during UNC basketball season and make plans to one day become co-owners of season tickets.

Both women said they hope prospective writers come to the event to learn more about the craft of writing and the process itself.

“I remember teaching and I had students who would come into my classroom or to my office who would say, ‘I want to do what you did — tell me,’ and I’m like, ‘Well, I waited tables for two years after I graduated,’” Dessen said. “You have to get in the habit of really sitting down every day and just doing it.”

Both Dessen and Han cited their time at UNC as a major stepping stone on the path to publication.

“I think (my time at UNC) is part of why I was so drawn to young adult stories because I think when you look back on memories, it’s like those places and those people that you knew when you were young, that resonate the most in some ways,” Han said.

“So I think wherever I live, I will always look back at that time fondly and feel like I was there a lot longer than when I was.”