National body looks at UNC chapter of Pi Lambda Phi

In October 2013, five Pi Lambda Phi pledges were arrested on misdemeanor counts of larceny and vandalism to the Student Union.

According to the Department of Public Safety incident reports, $3,133.20 in damage to three paper towel dispensers and one toilet paper dispenser was caused. In addition, $407 worth of paper products and household goods were taken.

The fraternity spent last weekend meeting with the Pi Lambda Phi national chapter.

According to the press release issued by Ian Lowe , executive director of Pi Lambda Phi, Inc., the conduct of UNC’s chapter was called into question following the events in the fall.

The press release went on to say that the University, local Pi Lambda Phi chapter alumni and the International Headquarters performed a collaborative investigation with the cooperation of student members.

“It was determined that with the continual support of the UNC-CH administration, our chapter’s local alumni and International Headquarters would become more deeply engaged with efforts to fix challenges within the chapter and restore the organization to a greater state,” Lowe said in the release.

Pi Lambda Phi Chapter President Robert Harrison said he has read and agrees with the statement.

“Our chapter is stronger than it’s ever been, and we are looking forward to the fall and the philanthropy that we haven’t really been able to do this year,” he said.

Aaron Bachenheimer , director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said working with the national chapter on these kinds of issues can take several different routes.

“If the national organization is more interested in getting their process rolling quickly, we may take a more backseat kind of role, but that doesn’t mean we don’t keep abreast of the process,” he said.

Bachenheimer said different campus groups, such as the Interfraternity Council and its judicial board, can be involved as well.

“We are as involved as we need to be to make sure that community values and University policies are being upheld and, most importantly, that student safety is at the forefront,” he said.