New-school Carolina blues band TURCHI come home

Sound crazy? That’s what Reed Turchi did two years ago.

The UNC alum formed the band TURCHI in late 2011 during his senior year. That spring, he recorded its first album and, after a great response from listeners, planned an entire tour to follow.

“I would get up really early to work on production before class,” Turchi said. “That was kind of the cycle: work at it late night and early morning and then there wasn’t room for anything else. But it was worth it — no regrets.”

While touring in November 2012, the band stopped in Lafayette, La., and recorded a live album at the show. It was released in early 2013, followed by the EP " My Time Ain’t Now" later that year.

TURCHI’s 2014 album, Can’t Bury Your Past"  was released earlier this week, and the band has been busy playing shows to promote it.

TURCHI’s previous records featured a mix of only guitar, bass and drums. This time around, several instruments, including a keyboard and saxophone, were included. Art Edmaiston , of JJ Grey & Mofro based out of Jacksonville, Fla., played tenor and baritone saxophone on the album.

“The music, to me, was engaging and creative and authentic,” Edmaiston said. “It was a real neat mix of kind of an ‘80s new wave with the real blues stuff.”

Keyboardist Anthony Farrell , another member of JJ Grey & Mofro, is also featured on the album.

“My favorite part of the album was listening to what those guys brought to the table,” Turchi said. “We’ve pushed ourselves to branch out musically, to push the edges of the genre.”

Edmaiston said Turchi’s passion for music and love for the blues is evident.

“Reed has a very honest approach to playing this music and a lot of spirit and heart,” Edmaiston said. “His approach to the blues is very deep, but it still has his own personality attached to it, so it makes it fresh and makes it personal for him, and I think that’s important.”

Fellow UNC grad and longtime collaborator Wesley Graham helped Turchi record the first album and went along on the first tour in 2012 before returning for his senior year. He said Turchi had played piano for a long time and picked up the slide guitar while in college.

“I’ve been playing guitar for almost 12 years now, and I remember being pretty impressed at how fast he picked it up,” Graham said. “He’s completely dedicated to it.”

Currently, TURCHI has shows planned throughout North Carolina and the eastern U.S. Turchi said he plans to travel to Italy this summer for both solo and full band shows. However, he said the group is still very much excited to play high-energy shows in the states — especially the one tonight at Local 506 .

“The 506 has proved to have rowdy nights before, so we’re looking forward to that,” Turchi said.

“Wherever people like to drink beer are the places we like to play.”

diversions@dailytarheel.com