Water main break by Avery estimated to cost $200K

Giovanni Lorenzo, a ServPro employee involved in the Avery flooding clean-up process, said that the basement of Avery got flooded with "four feet of muddy water." "The main water line popped during construction work." During the afternoon on April 14, Lorenzo and other ServPro employees worked on saving some of the furniture and airing out all of the rooms.

An Alert Carolina message notified students to the flooding and warned that there would be water outages and traffic delays throughout the day as repairs were made.

“When I first heard that the flood had happened, I freaked out,” said sophomore Ellie Wu. “I live on the first floor and I was worried that my stuff would be ruined.”

She said she initially thought of the November 2012 flooding in Granville Towers and was afraid that she and other residents would be displaced because of the damage.

“The basketball court is covered with furniture that they’re trying to clean out,” said Wu.

But effects on students were limited to a short loss of water from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday along with the closing of the main building entrance and the loss of laundry services.

Associate Director of Housing and Residential Education Rick Bradley said it is too early to tell for sure how much damage was caused, but that $200,000 was his first estimate.

Four of the six housing employees whose offices are located in Avery have been displaced for what is estimated to be three or four weeks. Bradley said they were filled with mud, debris and more than two feet of water.

“I’d say the flooding caused quite a bit of damage,” he said.

The flooded storage space held extra student room furniture, such as desks, towels, linens, blankets, storage shelves, and a large commercial washer and dryer. However, Bradley said that the desks might be able to be cleaned and refurbished.

Bradley said that he expects that the washers and dryers in the student laundry are also now unusable. Students have been instructed to do their laundry in other Parker Community dorms.

Wu said students used their friends’ showers in other dorms and the bathrooms in Avery were not functional at the time. She added that the water was fixed relatively quickly, and caused her a minimal amount of discomfort.

“They took care of everything in a timely manner and provided us with resources to make everything easier,” Wu said. “It was nice.”

Sophomore Lena Varone was moved to Avery earlier this year following the fire at Cobb Residence Hall and said that she was glad that the flooding did not damage any personal items or student rooms.

“I feel like I attract disasters,” she said. “But this one wasn’t nearly as serious as Cobb.”