Winston-Salem State University student seeks change in non-discrimination policy

102 Jamz DJ Brian “B-DAHT” McLaughlin tweeted negative comments about Aaron McCorkle, who was running for Mr. WSSU and is openly gay, after students posted pictures of McCorkle cross-dressing on Instagram.

“He was basically bashing who I was as an individual,” McCorkle said.

McLaughlin issued an apology for the remarks via Twitter, but McCorkle said he wants to meet with him personally.

“I want to meet with him so he can get an understanding of where I am coming from, to see if his apology is sincere and genuine,” he said.

McCorkle said he wants McLaughlin’s help in changing opinions on sexuality and preferences with an anti-bullying campaign.

McCorkle said he has started a petition to expand the university’s non-discrimination policy to include protection for gender identity and gender expression.

LGBT groups, including the Human Rights Campaign, have stood in support of McCorkle and called on WSSU to expand its non-discrimination policy.

Chevara Orrin , McCorkle’s publicist and founder of We Are Straight Allies , said her organization is involved with petitions and initiatives to raise awareness.

“They are all calling on the university to change its policy and expand it to include gender identity and gender expression,” she said.

Nancy Young , a spokeswoman for WSSU, said the university is considering if gender identity and gender expression fall within the sexual orientation clause of its non-discrimination policy.

“We don’t want anybody to feel that they have been marginalized for any reason,” she said. “Even if you have the policy, you cannot control how people think and what their values are and what they believe, but you can create an environment where they understand that taking any action on that is unacceptable.”

UNC-CH’s non-discrimination policy includes protection for gender identity and gender expression, as well as sexual orientation, said Terri Phoenix , director of UNC-CH’s LGBTQ Center.

Phoenix said there are still problems with acceptance of gender identity and expression on campus, but the University sponsors programs such as Safe Zone, which teaches students to be more tolerant toward LGBT individuals.

“The mission of the university is to educate people, and if you aren’t feeling safe or you aren’t feeling like you can access the resources or the opportunities at the university, it negatively impacts your ability to be successful at the university.”