Saturday September 25th

Nearly 6,000 graduate in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Sunday

Graduation hosted 33,000 people on Sunday afternoon in order to honor degree earning students of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Buy Photos Graduation hosted 33,000 people on Sunday afternoon in order to honor degree earning students of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

33,000 people took time out of their Mother’s Day to honor the class of 2014 Carolina graduates in Kenan Memorial Stadium.

The UNC registrar estimated that nearly 6,000 people graduated Sunday, with 3,730 receiving their bachelor’s degrees.

MORE TO COME

For more pictures and stories from the 2014 commencement ceremony, look out for our first summer edition of The Daily Tar Heel, which will be in boxes on May 15.

Folt began the ceremony by talking about something that makes UNC students so unique.

“What is the special sauce that keeps Carolina special?" Folt asked. "I’ve got a pretty good idea of the answer: you."

And her reminder to the graduates provided one of many memorable moments.

“You’ll always forever be my very first class of graduates at Carolina,” Folt said, through cheers.

Senior Class President Georgia Walker addressed the fears of many graduates entering the real world in her speech, using a metaphor by famous poet William G.T. Shedd.

“A ship is safe in harbor; a ship is not supposed to be in harbor,” Walker said.

While many speeches were given with various eloquent metaphors and language, W. Lowry Caudill, the Board of Trustees chairman, kept it simple for the class of 2014.

“You can change the world,” he said. 

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.

Welcome Back Edition 2021