Sooners send UNC men's tennis packing in NCAA quarterfinals

Freshman Brayden Schnur defeated the No. 5 player in the nation in a tight, whirlwind of a match — a huge, exciting, nail-biting victory for the North Carolina men's tennis team.

“I knew if I could play my game, and I played with a lot of heart and for my team, I could get the win,” he said.

Schnur lost the first set in a tiebreaker, won the second 6-3. He dug in and continued his fight, earning a point for the Tar Heels with a 7-5 victory in the third set.

But it wasn’t enough. 

And all Schnur could do was watch as senior Nelson Vick lost his match in two sets, ending the team's season in the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament — powerless to change the team’s outcome despite his stellar performance.

“It was a lot, actually, especially being the last match of the season,” Schnur said. “It’s definitely not the best feeling in the world.”

UNC fell 4-2 to No. 2 Oklahoma Sunday after a four-and-a-half hour battle at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility in Athens, Ga. The match was pushed back an hour and moved indoors because of rain — factors coach Sam Paul said did not affect the players’ performances.

“It’s always sad when the year ends,” Paul said. “It was the last chance to work with the guys all together, and it was one of the best groups we’ve ever had.”

The team enjoyed early success Sunday, playing some of its best doubles of the season to win the doubles point after Schnur and sophomore Brett Clark clinched an 8-5 victory. Minutes earlier, freshmen Jack Murray and Ronnie Schneider won their match 8-6.

With momentum on their side, the team felt confident and poised entering the singles round, but the momentum couldn’t carry them to the win.

“Nothing that happened today can knock the great season we had,” Schneider said. “But it’s tough to swallow.”

Oklahoma has two players ranked in the top 10, and two more ranked in the top 55 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings.

Junior Oystein Steiro was the first player down, losing his first two sets 6-1. Schneider and Clark followed suit after two tough fights. They both won their first sets but fell in the second and third against higher-ranked players.

Schneider won his first set 7-6 after a hard-fought tiebreaker but uncharacteristically didn't score a single point in the following sets.

“It could have gone better, but I have to give the other guy full credit,” he said. “He changed it up a little bit, and I just wasn’t able to counter with something of my own.”

Despite the loss, UNC had a historic season, winning a school-record 27 victories and making just the second NCAA quarterfinal appearance in school history. Last season, the team didn't even make the NCAA tournament.

This match came down to which team dug deeper and gutted out the win, and while the team has played tough all season, it came up short against Oklahoma.

“It came down to who was willing to play with the most heart today and who showed up,” Schnur said. “And they played a little bit better.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com