In a time of change, the June meeting of the UNC-system Board of Governors emphasized continued progress.
“It’d be easy to dwell on the trials, but that’d be a mistake,” said board chairman Peter Hans during the open session of the full board meeting Friday. “It would miss the resilience of this system. It’d also miss the fact that this is a period of progress.”
Friday was the last meeting board member Hans, whose current term on the board of governors ends in 2015, presided over as chairman. John Fennebresque will succeed Hans as the board chairman, who is elected to two-year terms by the other board members.
Fennebresque’s term will officially begin July 1 — which also marks the start of the new fiscal year, by when the state budget must be finalized.
Charles Perusse, UNC-system chief operating officer, said for the first time in many years, funding for higher education has not been contentious in state budget deliberations.
“We’re budget dust,” Perusse said in the committee on budget and finance Thursday.
He said the system is following only a few provisions that vary between the N.C. Senate, N.C. House and Gov. Pat McCrory’s proposals. On the whole, differences are minor.
The proposals from the N.C. Senate and the N.C. House allow the UNC system to determine out-of-state tuition rates — provided the system still raises an estimated $27.2 million, the equivalent of budget cuts mandated last year, from tuition increases.
The full board voted Friday to enact out-of-state increases of 11.7 percent at three system schools, which have previously been mandated by the state legislature to increase out-of-state tuition by 12.3 percent for 2014-15.