Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department seeks public opinion

Monday, the Recreation and Parks Department will launch the Live Here, Play Here, Share Your Thoughts survey so residents can give input.

“We want to know whether we are doing things right,” said Anita Jones-McNair, the Recreation and Parks Department director.

Jones-McNair said the survey will ask community members how often they attend programs, which ones they like best and in what areas the department can make improvements.

The survey will be open for three weeks until Sept. 19, according to the press release.

The online survey will be available in English and Spanish on the town’s website, Facebook page and Twitter page. The survey will also offer a youth version for those under the age of 18.

Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle said some of the goals of the survey are to raise awareness about all of the recreational programs the town offers as well as give the department new ideas.

“Sometimes we get suggestions for things we offer already,” Lavelle said. “So the survey will help to inform everyone.”

Currently, the department offers more than 350 programs per year, while managing eight parks, one trail and one indoor facility.

Lavelle said the survey will also address the town’s struggle to involve young people in the community.

“I think it’s hardest to come up with ideas for programs they will enjoy, and we try to cater to everyone, from little children to senior citizens,” Lavelle said.

The Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department launched its “Chapel Hill 4 YOUth” initiative to address the town’s struggle to get young people signed up for the department’s events.

The town of Carrboro often receives feedback on individual programs and events, Jones-McNair said. But once in a while, they want to know how well they are serving the community collectively.

Jones-McNair said in addition to the survey, one of the department’s goals this year is to update infrastructure like the bathrooms at parks and multi-use fields.

“Facilities have a shelf life so we have to upgrade and maintain,” Jones-McNair said.

Jones-McNair said it has been more than nine years since the Recreation and Parks department has offered a survey like this.

“Carrboro is a town focused on catering to the wants and needs of the community, and we are open for suggestions,” Lavelle said.

The survey can be accessed online on the town’s website. Those interested in taking the survey can also request a hard copy by contacting the Recreation and Parks department, or can pick one up beginning Tuesday during regular business hours from the Century Center reception window, brochure rack or the Town Hall bulletin board.