Doug Largent Trio stays close to home with concert

And tonight, the scene will be set at Carrboro’s Looking Glass Cafe. The Doug Largent Trio will give guests a combination of music and casual sophistication at the coffee shop.

Largent, the organist for the group, and guitarist Brad Maiani formed the trio, a small ensemble specializing in reinventing jazz standards from the 1950s and ’60s into a unique and personal sound. They play with a rotating drummer — tonight’s will be Tyler Leak.

The Trio has also taken inspiration from organist Big John Patton, whose song “Soul Woman” is both a group and crowd favorite.

Largent said his personal career has introduced him to myriad jazz musicians and taken him from North Carolina to New York City and back again.

He said that today he tries constantly to develop his craft and further his love of the genre.

“I really like the sound of (jazz),” he said.

“You can listen to anything deeply and hear the texture of the instruments. Especially with the organ, there’s just so much going on with the sound of it, you never get bored.”

Carolyn Griggs, owner and performance organizer at Looking Glass Cafe, said she booked the trio after being approached by Maiani about the cafe’s weekly jazz and game night.

“We love to have different events in the evenings. We have such a nice outdoor space that is well-suited for jazz in the garden,” she said.

“Personally, I know the quality of their music and know how wonderful it is, so I am very excited for some good jazz.”

Looking Glass Cafe, a Carrboro staple, prides itself both on its fair trade organic coffees and its friendly, welcoming atmosphere.

The trio likewise hold a coveted spot in the area’s social and music scene as graduates from UNC and current North Carolina residents.

“It’s something nice to go out into your community and hang out in a local spot and listen to really good quality music,” Griggs said.

“(The trio) seem like they just have such a good time jamming out together, so it makes it really entertaining.”

Largent said he shares Griggs’ excitement for the Carrboro event and plans on creating a set list of an assortment of jazz favorites. He also wants to add in lesser-known material the group discovered on records from the 1960s to expose audience members to different styles of jazz.

Largent said that after nearly five years of collaboration and joint performances, he and Maiani have built a solid musical foundation, with their bond acting as one of the keys to the trio’s success.

“We’re really tight and have a good sound. We’re not just a bunch of dudes who got together for one weekend,” Largent said.

“We really work hard at it and really appreciate when people come out to listen, because it’s a lot of work to put it together.”