Internationalist Bookstore turns new page in Carrboro

The Visual Reactions exhibit by a Kuwaiti artist on display in the FedEx Global Center.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly identified the gender of Loftin Wilson. He is a man. The story has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Friday will kick off 30 days of fundraising events to finance the move on Sept. 28. The event schedule includes a bike-in movie night at the store’s new location at 101 Lloyd St. Friday, brunch at Vimala’s Curryblossom Cafe and a fancier $50 dinner.

Internationalist Books co-manager Martha Pentecost is excited for the move. She said there will be more space for bookshelves and seating.

The store hosts several organized events each week.

“We want to be the best resource center for people who are looking for alternatives,” Pentecost said. “The layout feels very welcoming.”

The staff of Internationalist Books hopes to raise $15,500 to finance the move. The money will go toward covering the rent of both spaces until the store’s Franklin Street lease ends. Funds will also be used to purchase furniture and cover light construction costs for the new space.

“We also want to bring in a lot of new inventory,” Pentecost said. “Spruce up the shop in that way.”

The UNControllables, a student anarchist group, holds meetings at Internationalist Books. Pentecost said the group is welcome to continue to meet in the new location.

“They don’t have regular meetings here, but we are certainly connected to them,” she said. “We support them and they support us.”

The Internationalist Bookstore was founded in 1981 by community activist Bob Sheldon and moved to its current location in 1995.

Durham resident Loftin Wilson, who first came to Internationalist Books in the mid-1990s, is also looking forward to the move.

“I haven’t been to the new space yet, but I know where it is,” he said.

“I think it’ll be a good space for them.”