UNC takes a shot at branding with Jell-O Jigglers

Walmart is a carrier for the UNC Jello Mold.

From Snuggies to spatulas, UNC’s brand is recognizable in stores across the state.

Now, Jell-O, produced by Kraft Foods, has released a new Go Heels Jigglers Mold Kit, which includes two trays with molds of the UNC logo and four boxes of Berry Blue gelatin.

The kit makes at least 50 Jigglers and can be purchased at Walmart, CVS and on Amazon. It retails at around $6.

Chatham County Wal-Mart employee Paula Charles said the store began selling the kits about two weeks ago and has already seen a large display sell out.

But UNC isn’t the first school to have a personalized Jell-O mold. Several of the nation’s top football programs, including Florida State University, the University of Alabama and Ohio State University, also sell their own Jigglers.

Charles, a Duke fan, hopes Jell-O introduces a mold kit for the Blue Devils.

“I think they’re cool, and I think the kids will love them,” she said. “We know they’re not going to make just Jell-O. It’s a college campus.”

Senior Amy Kalinowski said the new Jell-O molds are another way for the University to implement its brand.

“I don’t know many students that eat Jell-O on the reg’, but Jell-O shots are popular with the young ’uns,” she said.

Kalinowski saw the Jell-O molds on Facebook and thinks they can gain popularity in Chapel Hill if they’re promoted.

“The more the merrier with UNC stuff,” she said.

Senior Kelsey Mace bought the new Jell-O molds recently in Charlotte and already has big plans for them.

“I plan on making red, white and blue Jell-O shots for ‘Go Heels, Go America,’” she said.

Mace said she came across the molds on Facebook as well and rushed to Wal-Mart to buy them.

In 2012, Kellogg’s released Tar Heel Berry-flavored Pop-Tarts in Wal-Mart and UNC Student Stores. Kalinowski, who works at Student Stores, said the first shipment of Pop-Tarts sold out in a day and a half after people drove from 30 minutes away to get their hands on the frosted UNC-themed treats.

By combining school spirit with tailgate traditions, the Jell-O kits could gain similar popularity.

“Taking Jell-O shots to the next level — I mean who doesn’t love UNC Jell-O shots?” Mace said.