BRONCHO and Low Litas unite nineties nostalgia and indie punk

Nostalgia for the 90s will blend with punk and indie styles when two Oklahoma-native bands, BRONCHO and Low Litas, take the stage at Local 506 tonight. 

Currently touring the U.S. and Canada, the two bands hope to expand their audience and hook them on their unique "shoegaze and dream rock" style. 

The term "shoegaze" comes from the introspective and non-confrontational stance the performers assume, as if they are staring at their shoes. The vocals in this style also blend with guitar sound effects. 

“Shoegaze is definitely what inspires a lot of guitar sounds,” said background vocalist and bassist of Low Litas, Penny Pitchlynn. "Mandii plays guitar in a way that doesn't sound like a guitar a lot of the times. And dream rock is not hard in your face. It can be loud yet dreamy." 

Pitchlynn and her partner Mandii Larsen — the lead vocalist, guitarist and songwriter for Low Litas — were in search of a drummer and turned to Nathan Price, the drummer of BRONCHO.  Already touring together, the two bands decided to share their talents. Price now also drums for Low Litas and Pitchlynn and Larsen are also vocalists for BRONCHO. As a result of the tour, the members of the bands have conjoined but the bands have remained two distinct entities. 

BRONCHO started off as a punk band, but as they progressed, so did their music. While now focusing on an indie sound, the band wants to keep the same vivacious energy in mind when they come out with new records as they did when they first formed. 

Lead vocalist and guitarist of BRONCHO Ryan Lindsey, said all of the band members were friends and played together in other bands prior to BRONCHO. The album, Just Enough Hip to be Woman, was inspired by Lindsey's childhood. 

“It’s pretty descriptive of the childhood I had and also what I didn’t have. It’s a mix of the childhood that shows up in my dreams but also in reality," he said. 

Lindsey has already started writing songs for the next album, despite having just released an album on Sept. 16. They’ve opened for other bands but also played solo shows. 

“It’s cool to see how we fit into one world, but also in our own normal world,” Lindsey said.

Lindsey said he is looking forward to coming to Chapel Hill because he feels he can really connect to college towns. It reminds him of home because he grew up and performed in a college town as well. Even though he loves playing in big cities, Lindsey said he loves playing in smaller cities because of the fans.

The Local 506 is also very enthusiastic to host the concert because neither band has played there before. Because the two bands are touring together, owner Kippy Perkins was able to easily book them. 

"It's unusual because Low Litas are coming too," she said.  

Lindsey said the bands aim to continue their collaboration to produce a unique style of music. 

“Our goal is to keep making records that are interesting to us — all we can worry about as a band is pleasing ourselves and pleasing others in time," Lindsey said.