Carrboro Music Festival says goodbye to organizers

More than 180 groups performed at the annual Carrboro Music Festival this weekend.

Carrboro held its 17th annual music festival Sunday. From 12 p.m. until midnight, festival goers flocked to the downtown area for music, food and drink. Twenty-five venues — including Weaver Street Market and other restaurants — were transformed into music venues where everything from jazz to rock ’n’ roll to beatbox flute could be heard.

Carrboro mayor Lydia Lavelle said she has attended the festival for several years and continues to look forward to participating in the community-oriented, carefree event.

“What’s so unique and special about (the festival) is that its creation was really driven by the citizens of Carrboro,” Lavelle said. “It’s not very regimented, so you can go wherever you want throughout the day and just wander from act to act because it’s all free. It’s very laid back and free-flowing; it’s really a very organic day.”

Organizers Williams and Place have been involved in the organization of the Carrboro Music Festival since its inception. Sunday’s festival was their last before they relocate to Columbia, S.C. for work purposes.

In celebration of the couple’s work, Lavelle declared Sept. 28 as “Gerry Williams and Janet Place Day” in Carrboro. She said the community will feel a significant loss with the departure of Williams and Place, but their impact on the town will never be forgotten.

“There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes that no one ever sees in terms of organization with a huge event like this, so I’m sure that there will be some blips along the way within the next year,” Lavelle said. “Anytime you have a change of leadership, you lose a little bit of what you’ve had all those years, so I know we’ll really, greatly miss, if nothing else, just their spirit and having them around.”

Williams said he has been involved with the festival since he joined the Carrboro Arts Committee 17 years ago. The festival was held in June for its first three years with just under ten stages, but since then, attendance and musician interest have grown exponentially.

Over 250 musicians, all from the Triangle area, applied for the 180 spots in the festival this year. Williams said the festival’s success is a direct result of Carrboro’s strong community.

“Carrboro spends a lot on supporting the arts,” Williams said. “A lot of big cities don’t do as much as Carrboro does.”

Jim Dennis, owner of the Music Loft in Carrboro, will take over as the festival’s coordinator next year, and Williams said he feels safe leaving the fate of the event in his hands.

Sitting in his golf cart Sunday — his usual mode of festival transportation — Williams said despite the hard work, he would miss the event, the music and the friends he has made along the way.

“We’ll really miss the community — Columbia isn’t like Carrboro or Chapel Hill,” Williams said. “This is a great community event with free music. You can’t beat that.”

Even after 17 years of success and growth, the festival continues to attract new attendees like UNC sophomores Daniel Farrell and Caitlyn Ellis.

Farrell and Ellis said they wandered over to Weaver Street Market after lunch and found a festival they had never heard of already in full swing.

“We came on the right day. (The bands) are killing it around here,” Farrell said. “It’s what I would expect from Carrboro. It’s cool; everyone’s very friendly. We’re lucky that we’re here today.”

Lavelle said the festival’s success can be attributed to a combination of influences, but its popularity is easy to explain.

“I think people keep coming back because each year they have such a good time,” Lavelle said.

“You don’t want to miss it if you can help it — it’s just fun.”