Council sets Rogers Road hearing for next month

Including Rogers Road as an extraterritorial jurisdiction in Chapel Hill would allow the town to make decisions over the area, despite its falling outside of city limits.

It would give the town the ability to contribute funding for sewage infrastructure in the neighborhood.

Rogers Road agreed to house the county’s landfill in 1972 on the condition that it receive money for sewage and water hookups and a community center after 10 years.

The Rogers Road area housed the landfill until June 2013, and it still has not received money for sewage hookups. The town claims it can’t pay for them because part of the neighborhood doesn’t fall within Chapel Hill limits.

“These homes have failing septic tank systems,” said Rev. Robert Campbell, president of the Rogers-Eubanks Neighborhood Association.

“Some of these residents are having their septic tank pumped three or four times a year, and others are living on contaminated wells.”

The town decided to postpone the hearing on the ETJ because it has not yet accumulated income data for the residents of Rogers Road, said Judy Johnson, a senior planner for the town.

The town can only send money if the area qualifies as low-income.

“If they don’t qualify with their income levels, it doesn’t do anything for us to extend the jurisdiction,” Johnson said.

More than 80 households in the Rogers Road area are without sewer services, Johnson said.

While the council members were hopeful that they would vote to include Rogers Road as an ETJ, some council members were concerned they would exert authority in an area that could not vote in Chapel Hill elections.

“When it comes to an ETJ, we have responsibility over the area, but they can’t vote for us, and that’s not something that fosters good will,” said Councilman Jim Ward.

The next public hearing will take place Oct. 15. The hearing, which started on Oct. 21, 2013, has been pushed back three times.

“I expect and hope that the council will make a positive vote on the 15th,” Councilman Lee Storrow said.

This online timeline was compiled by assistant online editor Lindsay Carbonell and assistant city editor Jasmin Singh.

General Script