Not So Normal 5K Weekend reaches finish line in Carrboro

The Buzztown Band performs at the Not So Normal 5K at University Mall on Sunday.

Donations from the event went to the N.C. Children’s Hospital and the ArtsCenter.

The event’s founder and organizer Jay Radford said he was pleased with the events’ turnouts, especially the number of people who showed up for the 5K Sunday morning.

“Four hundred and seventy runners our first year, which is unheard of the first time for a 5K,” he said. “It could not have gone better. It was amazing.”

After seeing the success, Radford said the event will be held again in spring 2015.

Admission to the Sunday afternoon concert was free, but a $10 donation at the door was encouraged.

TABLE, a local charity that provides food to elementary school students from low-income families in the area, had a table to collect donations at the concert.

The event was family friendly with around 90 kids running their own race.

Members of UNC’s Dance Marathon provided childcare during the race and at Saturday night’s pre-race dinner at a number of Carrboro restaurants.

Restaurants, including Glasshalfull, Spotted Dog and Elmo’s Diner, donated a portion of their proceeds to various charities in the area as a part of the event.

Radford didn’t know the total money raised Sunday night, but he said Saturday night was hugely successful.

“I know we raised over $5,000 Saturday night from the restaurants for the eight nonprofits they benefited,” he said.

Durham resident and Tobacco Trail Church member Kristen Linney won the women’s race event with a time of 20 minutes and 50 seconds.

UNC student and Dance Marathon finance chair Landon Sherwood won the men’s event with a time just more than 18 minutes.

Durham-based Buzztown Band opened the concert on Sunday.

Carrboro resident Mandy Hitchcock attended the concert to see her friend perform in the Buzztown Band but didn’t know the reach of the event.

“We’re friends with the band,” she said. “We knew they had a race this morning, but that’s all that we knew.”

Chapel Hill resident Julie McCray was glad she stumbled upon the event with her daughter after having heard about the 5K, even though she didn’t participate.

“We come to the mall every Sunday just to see what’s happening,” she said.

Nashville-based band Stereosparks also performed. The band released a three-song EP, The Secret EP , in July.

Storey Condos, the band’s lead singer, said the band loves performing at charity events.

“We honestly love playing any charity that we have the opportunity to play,” she said.

“This is benefiting the N.C. Children’s Hospital and the arts community, and we’re big supporters of both of those organizations.”

Other events included a pajama party at the Carrboro ArtsCenter, a comedy show at DSI Comedy Theater in Carrboro and the art walk in Carrboro.