Renovations delay Chi Phi fraternity hire

Though the sanctions were imposed by the national Chi Phi fraternity in March, the hiring deadline has now been extended to January 2015 to accommodate for the renovation process.

In the interim, a newly-formed alumni advisory board is providing visible support for Chi Phi members, said a spokesman for the chapter.

“The search is underway, and the renovations have started to ensure the house is in good condition and ready for a full-time live-in resident,” the spokesman said.

Aaron Bachenheimer, Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said alumni advisory boards are common for UNC fraternities, but no other fraternity has a live-in house adviser.

“They have historically had the Southern Order Memorial Foundation, which is specifically their house corporation board, and that board — or at least a member of that board — has historically served as their chapter adviser,” he said.

Chi Phi’s national organization recommended the chapter establish a separate advisory board in addition to the board of its house foundation, a change Bachenheimer said he thinks is a good practice for any fraternity.

Fields Pierce, chairman of the Greek Judicial Board, said his own fraternity’s advisory board provides indirect support for financial and social planning, but alumni advisory boards may work differently for each fraternity.

When Greek Judicial Board hearings concluded in May, Pierce said Chi Phi would be tried by UNC’s Standards Review Board when it meets in the fall.

Kenan Lee Drum, president of the Interfraternity Council and member of the Standards Review Board, said he cannot comment on an ongoing investigation. Bachenheimer also declined to comment.

The house renovations will include at least one other change.

“The footprint will not be expanded, but they’re adding a new women’s restroom, a dedicated women’s restroom,” the chapter spokesman said.

Online timeline compiled by Assistant Online Editor Kelsey Weekman.