Report filed for alleged football team assault

As part of its compliance with the Clery Act, the Department of Public Safety recorded an allegation of aggravated assault on Aug. 8. The Clery Act requires universities to publish campus security policies and crime statistics, maintain a daily crime log and provide timely warnings about ongoing threats to students.

“Chapel Hill (Police Department) is the investigating agency, and we record it as a Clery allegation of aggravated assault,” said Randy Young, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety. “It’s an administrative record that is produced solely as part of our reporting requirements ... We’re not investigating that incident.”

In August, Yahoo News reported that a group of North Carolina football players hazed and assaulted wide receiver Jackson Boyer. Later that week, defensive backs Brian Walker, Donnie Miles, Des Lawrence and M.J. Stewart were suspended during the season opener against Liberty University.

Boyer could not be reached for comment.

Steve Kirschner, a spokesman for the Department of Athletics, said the office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is investigating the incident. Representatives from student affairs did not respond to requests for comment.

The Department of Public Safety’s administrative report redacts names of the students involved in the allegation. The report said the allegation was filed on Aug. 8 after the assault occurred at the Aloft Hotel on Aug. 4.

“We are aware of the situation and are cooperating with University officials as needed,” said Taylor Newsome, a spokesman for the Aloft Hotel. “The safety of all guests is a priority and as this is a current investigation, we cannot offer any additional details at this time.”

No victims have come forward to press charges or even file a report with the Chapel Hill Police Department, said Lt. Josh Mecimore, a spokesman for the department. Chapel Hill Police would be responsible for investigating the report because it happened off campus.

But Police Chief Chris Blue was made aware an incident might have occurred. It was reported by third-party informants, Mecimore said.

“We communicate with the University frequently about various things, and whether I know about something ahead of time isn’t the same as whether we have a report or investigation,” Mecimore said.