Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Search underway for missing Arboretum sign

Margo MacIntyre just wants her sign back. 

MacIntyre, the curator of Coker Arboretum, said the Arboretum’s sign has been missing since at least Wednesday night. 

“We don’t walk every inch of (the Arboretum) every night,” she said, acknowledging the sign could have gone missing before Wednesday.

The Department of Public Safety’s report on the incident states that the last time the sign was known to be in its normal position behind the Morehead Planetarium was Tuesday. 

“I’m sure someone knows where it is,” MacIntyre said.

She acknowledged it may not have been taken but suspects it was.

“It might have fallen, but there was no damage to the landscape beneath where it was hanging,” MacIntyre said.

She said it is the only hanging sign the Arboretum has. Randy Young, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said the investigation is currently underway but that he could not provide any details on what the investigation entails. 

“We’d ask that anyone who had seen any suspicious activity in that area (of the Arboretum) during the middle of last week to please report it to us,” Young said.

MacIntyre said the Arboretum has had the sign for at least 10 years.

According to the incident report, the sign is valued at $300.

The sign, which is the same on both sides, reads “Coker Arboretum” in the middle, as well as “North Carolina Botanical Garden” and “University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill”.

MacIntyre said she doesn’t care about pressing charges.

“We just want the sign back,” she said. “Return it, no questions asked — that’d be just awesome.”

She said the sign can be placed by the doors of the Davie Hall basement.