University United Methodist Church holds yard sale for charity

Shoppers line the sidewalk outside of United Methodist Church on Franklin St. Saturday morning for their annual yard sale.

Robinson, assistant director for curriculum of UNC’s World View program, said she and her husband like to buy children’s items from the sale because children grow out of their clothing quickly.

Robinson was one of many people who benefited from the University United Methodist Church’s annual yard sale, which serves the community and supports charity organizations.

The sale was organized by the church’s United Methodist Women and has been serving the community for 10 years.

The yard sale’s gross proceeds were more than $10,000, said Dale Flexner, the president of United Methodist Women.

“We provide a source for inexpensive items for people in town,” Flexner said. “UMW sponsors it, but it is all of the church working together that makes the yard sale happen.”

The sale was run by volunteers from the church.

Brooks Walker, a sophomore at East Chapel Hill High School, said he has volunteered at the sale for five years.

Church members and their friends donated a variety of items, including clothes, books, furniture, collectibles and various household items.

Wei Li, a visiting scholar at UNC, said he heard about the event through the Fellowship Association of Chinese Students and Scholars mailing list at UNC.

“This is my first time to live in United States,” Li said.

“I would love to know what yard sale looks like and also get some household items.”

Li said he bought a toy basket, a vase, mugs and CDs.

Vanessa Garcia, a freshman at Durham Technical Community College, said she and her family came because they saw signs for the event.

“We just look around and see what we can find,” Garcia said. “The yard sale is really good and organized. There are a lot of nice, helpful people.”

Linda Griffin, chairwoman of the yard sale and member of the Methodist church, said the money raised from the yard sale will be donated to different organizations.

“Last year, we raised about $12,000 and gave all of them away to local needy folks and nearly 20 organizations,” Griffin said.

The proceeds from the sale will go toward programs that support the poor, victims of domestic violence and people with mental illnesses.

Flexner said they have donated the money to many organizations, including the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service and Imagine No Malaria.

Elizabeth Garfunkel, the executive assistant at the Inter-Faith Council, said the church supports the IFC throughout the year.

“We can never offer the same level of services without the support we receive from the local congregation,” Garfunkel said.

Flexner said items that weren’t sold at the yard sale were donated to the PTA Thrift Shop.

“It doesn’t just stop today,” she said. “It has more impact than just one day.”