Women's tennis team competes in first tournament of season

After just one day of practice, the North Carolina women’s tennis team played in its first tournament of the fall season this weekend in the Duke Fab Four Invitational at the Cary Tennis Courts.

“Based on the NCAA (rules) and when we can start and stuff, we were only allowed to have one day of practice,” coach Brian Kalbas said. “There wasn’t a lot of work that was done beforehand to get the players ready, so I was very pleased with what I saw, and I’m very encouraged about how the fall is going to go.”

The 10-team tournament, which included ACC foes Duke, Miami and Virginia, lasted three days and featured six teams that finished last season ranked in the top 30 of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's season-ending rankings.  

The Tar Heels were led by sophomore Hayley Carter, who is ranked third nationally in singles. She won three of her four matches during the weekend to finish third in her singles bracket.

Carter said the tournament helped her deal with the early expectations she faces as one of the top-ranked players in the country.  

“For me I think I overcame a big mental hurdle,” Carter said. “I did so well last year that I just expected it to be perfect, and I think this tournament made me realize that it’s not going to be perfect. People are gunning for me because I am ranked high, and I just have to enjoy it.”

The team also received a strong performance from senior Caroline Price, who won two of her three matches.

Price was also scheduled to play on Sunday, but Kalbas said she withdrew for precautionary purposes because she is still recovering from an injury.

“(Price) having not played all summer, got to the semis and played some great tennis,” Kalbas said.

Juniors Kate Vialle and Ashley Dai bounced back after losing their first doubles match of the year on Friday. The duo rattled off back-to-back victories to finish in first place in their consolation bracket.

Though Price was pleased with the results overall, she didn't hide the fact that there's still work to be done. 

“We need to work in the gym, we need to work on the court," she said. "Just little details to get to the championship team we want to be."