Dog resort celebrates grand opening

Green Beagle Lodge, the new pet resort located at 6805 Millhouse Road, will hold its grand opening and ribbon-cutting celebration on Thursday.

Margy Schmidt, a part owner at the lodge, said she and her business partners decided to open Green Beagle in Chapel Hill because there was a need for it in the area.

“People needed a place where they not only could board safely, but also lots of people are busy and their dogs aren’t getting proper exercise or training, and we wanted to offer that service,” Schmidt said.

The resort is built on 15 acres of land and includes a water park, in-ground pool and football field.

In addition to the services they offer to the dogs and cats that stay there, Green Beagle Lodge also has a membership plan for pet owners, which allows them to use the facilities and enjoy social events such as “Yappy Hour” and “Octslobber Fest.”

Though it has been open since June, Schmidt said the grand opening would be a chance to showcase the space now that everything is complete.

“A lot had to happen in those months, so we’re just ready to celebrate now,” she said.

Bar brings nostalgia with arcade

The Baxter bar and arcade opened Friday at 108 N. Graham St. in Chapel Hill.

Danny Miller, a part owner of The Baxter bar and arcade, said he and the other owners always wanted to start a bar with an emphasis on pop culture and an arcade component.

They started moving forward on their plans in February.

Miller said the games at The Baxter are all original and came from arcades in the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s.

“I mean everybody’s nostalgic now and arcade games are very nostalgic, and you know, to the 20-somethings and the 30-somethings, this is something for our generation to enjoy,” Miller said.

He said he and his brother Joe, another co-owner, are from Carrboro, so he was always interested in opening a bar in this area.

Miller said he hopes the unique concept will attract all kinds of people, both residents and students, to the bar.

“We’re kind of a funky bar. We’re weird, we’re nerds, but you know we’re outgoing nerds. We like our beer, we like to socialize, so we’re kinda aiming for everybody,” Miller said.

Pep Boys franchise opens on Franklin Street

Pep Boys, an auto supply and service franchise, opened a service and tire center at 1510 E. Franklin St. on Oct. 1.

Store manager Mike McFadden said the center offers car maintenance and mechanical services, including tire repair and oil changes.

Pep Boys began construction on the center in April after Dickinson’s Garden Center closed and the lot became available.

McFadden said the store offers discounts to UNC students on maintenance and mechanical services.

Besides the new center on East Franklin Street, Pep Boys has other service centers and supply shops in the Triangle area, including Raleigh, Fuquay Varina, Wake Forest and Clayton.

Despite the other Pep Boys locations in the area, McFadden said he is pleased with the turnout to the store in Chapel Hill so far.

“We’ve been getting good feedback from everybody in the area, everybody’s very happy and pleased that we are here, so we have been busy,” McFadden said.

“We’re just trying to do it right, you know, to build a customer base and just build a loyalty to us.”