Chaniel Nelson provides spark for volleyball team in weekend wins

The saying is “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” and redshirt senior Chaniel Nelson proved that after leading the No. 12 North Carolina volleyball team to victories over Pittsburgh and Clemson.

Nelson, an opposite hitter, missed all of 2013 with a stress fracture in her leg, and with a combined 32 kills in two wins over Pittsburgh and Clemson, she proved she hasn't missed a beat.  

“Chaniel was fantastic,” coach Joe Sagula said. “She carried the team the best she could in the way she played with so many kills.”

The Tar Heels opened their weekend road trip on Friday against the Pittsburgh Panthers. UNC began the match with a 25-20 win in set one, but the tone of the match shifted in set two.

The Panthers led set two 20-9 and the Tar Heels mounted a huge comeback, going on a 12-4 run to cut the lead to 24-21. But the Panthers won the set 25-21.

Pittsburgh then carried the momentum into the third set to win 25-21 and go up 2-1.

But UNC quickly turned things around opening up set four with an 8-5 lead, thanks to Nelson and her eventual four kills. 

Senior libero Ece Taner won the set with two service aces in a row to force a fifth set.

“Going into pretty much every game, one of our biggest goals is winning the serving and the passing game,” Taner said. “I play defense, I serve and pass; those are the three things I really need to be good at. So, when I get back to serve, I just really focus on making an impact.”

UNC jumped to an 8-3 lead to begin the fifth set. Pittsburgh made a run to cut the lead to 11-9. But Nelson added her 15th kill, a then season-high, to her stat sheet to give the Tar Heels set point. Then an attack error by Pittsburgh gave UNC the 5-3 win.

“Chaniel was huge for us this weekend,” Taner said. “She really stepped up offensively for us and she got kills when we needed to. She was also a great leader on the court as well.

The Tar Heels then traveled to Clemson Sunday for its Dig Pink match, where Nelson turned up her play another notch.

With three kills from Nelson in the first set, UNC took the set 25-18.

Clemson kept it close in the second set, eventually taking a 24-20 lead. But Nelson registered a kill to cut the lead to 24-21 and spark yet another run for the Tar Heels.

“Hopefully, I can see myself as like a go-to player or someone that the team can depend on when our backs are against the wall when we are not playing our best,” Nelson said. “My role hasn’t really changed the previous years I have played, but now, as a senior, my leadership has to step up as well as my game.”

Scoring three straight points, the Tar Heels came back and tied the score at 24-24. The Tigers scored again to give themselves set point, but UNC went on another three-point run to win the set 27-25.

Clemson tried to redeem itself by leading the third set 20-16 but UNC cut the lead again, to 23-20, with a kill by Nelson. Nelson put down two more kills in a row to bring the Tar Heels within one, 23-22.

Moments later, another kill by Nelson gave UNC set point, which it then converted to a win with a service ace by Taner.

“We needed Chaniel very badly to play like this this weekend and she stepped up,” Sagula said. “And I think that’s what it’s going to take throughout the rest of this season – more players to do things like Chaniel did. She set the tone for what it’s going to take."