Local church holds fifth annual Downtown Scavenger Hunt

Team "Holding On (To The Glory Days)" assembles to come up with their strategy to win Love Chapel Hill's annual scavenger hunt on Saturday afternoon.

Though she graduated from UNC in the spring, Kathleen Katibah found herself testing her knowledge of Chapel Hill at a scavenger hunt on Saturday.

“I needed an excuse to come back,” Katibah said. 

Love Chapel Hill, a local church, held its fifth annual Downtown Scavenger Hunt, which took teams on a 90-minute tour through Franklin Street, Rosemary Street and UNC’s campus.

During the hunt, the teams used the Social Scavenger app on their phones to complete 30 challenges, which included trivia questions as well as photo and video postings of the team at various locations around town.

Matt LeRoy, a pastor at the church, said the scavenger hunt was held as a way to showcase everything the town has to offer.

“This is one of those creative ways we are trying to give back to the town," LeRoy said. "We love this place, we think it’s an incredible place to live, and so we want to highlight all of the great history, the iconic landmarks and also local businesses at the same time.”

LeRoy said the teams competed for a grand prize, a golden ticket to Varsity Theatre. The ticket allows members of the winning group to see a free movie at the theater every day for one year.

One of the teams competing for the prize was a group of three recent UNC alumni and two Carrboro residents.

After winning the hunt in 2013, UNC alumni Katibah, Evan Gross and Luz Cuaboy made sure they were in town to win the town's hunt for their second time together — which they did.

Carrboro residents Anna Rickey and Matthew Bean, who recently moved from Durham, were also on the winning team and decided to participate in the hunt after they stumbled upon the church several weeks ago.

One of the challenges was to do something nice for someone.

"I liked when I got to give a flower to a bus driver," Bean said. "That was cool." 

Rickey said she is glad she was able to participate in the hunt.

“I wouldn’t have known the answers to any of these clues before today," she said.