North Carolina softball dismantles North Carolina Central 21-1

The team celebrates after Tracy Chandless, a junior from Canyon Country, California hits a home run during a preseason game against North Carolina Central University on October 8.

The Eagles never stood a chance.

Quite frankly, North Carolina Central didn’t even look like they belonged on the same field as the North Carolina softball team, who handed the Eagles a 21-1 defeat at Anderson Stadium on Wednesday night.

The Tar Heels took the field sporting pink ribbons and socks to honor freshman Danielle Garcielita’s mother, Kathleen, who was celebrating the 11th anniversary of her triumph over breast cancer.

North Carolina wasted no time getting to work in the final game of its fall schedule, as it fired on all cylinders from the first pitch. Sophomore Kendra Lynch tacked on two more runs to an already early lead in the first inning by sending a two-run home run over the centerfield wall. UNC went up 4-0.

“We were really aggressive tonight,” Lynch said about the team’s success at the plate. “We attacked first pitch strikes, and I thought we went up there with an attitude that we were getting it done no matter what.”

Not to be outdone, junior Tracy Chandless stepped up to the plate after Lynch and blasted a solo home run of her own, sending the ball to almost the same spot Lynch had hit hers.

After their dominant first inning, the Tar Heels never took their foot off the gas and went on to tally 21 runs on 21 hits.

“I haven’t seen us hit like this all fall,” coach Donna Papa said. “We squared the ball up, we were patient for good pitches, we did our job with runners in scoring position.

“We’ve worked a lot, but to put it together like that, batter after batter … all the way around I thought we were very confident, very poised and very solid. Twenty-one hits, 21 runs — you can’t get better than that.”

The bats were hot for everyone Wednesday night — that is, everyone not wearing maroon and gray. Five different Tar Heels combined for six home runs in the game, all while freshman Sydney Matzko was dealing on the mound.

Matzko was perfect through three innings, and the hit recorded by the Eagles in the fourth was the only one she allowed through her four innings on the mound.

Just when it seemed as though things couldn’t get any worse for the Eagles, Kati Causey blasted a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth to extend the Tar Heels’ lead to 20 runs. The home run was her second of the night.

“In practice, we’ve really been focusing on our strengths, and I think that helps us with our confidence," Causey said. "Today we had nothing but confidence. We had the want and the passion to win.”

The Tar Heels finished their fall slate of games with a 5-2 record and will resume play when the 2015 regular season begins in February.

“We’re ready to play,” Causey said about the team’s outlook on the upcoming season. “We’re coming out firing. After last season, we want to win more than ever, and we’re not gonna have a season like last year.”