Police identify body found on Rosemary Street

Jason Henry Myrick was found dead on East Rosemary Street Tuesday afternoon.

(UPDATED 2:24 p.m.): Jason Henry Myrick had begun staying at the Inter-Faith Council homeless shelter only weeks before he was found dead Tuesday, said John Dorward, executive director of the council. 

"It's hard on all of us when somebody that we're working with ends up in a situation like this," Dorward said. "It's just hard. We hate to see that."

On Aug. 6, Myrick was arrested and charged with inhaling toxic vapors in Johnston County, according to records provided by the Johnston County Sheriff's Office. 

"We are a dry shelter, so we do our best to make sure that the men that are staying with us are not using alcohol or drugs when they are staying with us," Dorward said.

"He was working very hard in the few weeks that he was with us to try and get beyond that."

Police identified the person found dead at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Tuesday as Chapel Hill resident Jason Henry Myrick.

Myrick, 41, was a resident of the Inter-Faith Council men's homeless shelter at 100 W. Rosemary St., police said in a statement Wednesday morning. 

Witnesses at the scene Tuesday said Myrick was discovered between a dumpster in the parking lot of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church and a fence separating the parking lot from the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority house, which is located at 307 E. Franklin St. 

Police will continue to investigate Myrick's death, but they still do not suspect foul play, the statement said.